Social difficulties and cultural adoption

trout

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other places ive stayed over the last few years Cardiff , Derry and Edinburgh are similar to here with proportionately high alchol fuelled crimes by eastern europeans.

Can't speak for Cardiff or Derry. However, I can't say I've seen any increase of, as you say, 'alchol fuelled' crimes by Eastern Europeans in Edinburgh. In fact, the trouble is mostly from stag parties from other UK areas and from young inebriated Edinburgh males roaming around and the increasing worry of knife crime because of this!

Let me put it to you that you have made a generalisation there, no? Yes, there are cases of misdemeanors, but not proportionately high as you state. There is for fact a large proportion of successful young Europeans now living and staying in Edinburgh contributing to the cities economy greatly to the culture and mix of the city! More so as the local whinging minnies!

^^ I had friends staying in Pilton and unfortunately frequented The Gunner if you've ever been across the doorstep due to this. Hey, lifes life, eh?

You've chosen an area that has substantial historical social deprevation as does Granton, Sighthill, Wester Hailes, Craig Millar etc. Each of these areas have a proportion of 'incomers' placed there due to the larger proportion of social housing.

Imagine you moving to an Eastern European country looking for a 'new life' and being dumped into a comparable place of residence. I don't think you can soley blame your obvious bad experience of Pilton on Eastern Europeans, no? I'd imagine the locals were'nt just tip top to you either?>!>?

Not sure if that was directed at me ... but I'd like to answer to that anyhow whether or not.

I ain't no liberal wishy washy either! See the BBC link that was provided, had someone saying they were unaware of the difference in alcohol count in their blood when they were breathalised. Does that not even ring true for those

in cars in Shetland/Scotland/UK? ... Have you never sat there thinking ... hmm, I could easily have another pint, should be okay, no? That pint was the one that put you over the bag whether you realised it or not - and whether you were caught or not!!

Ok.. there's absolutely no excuse for being blind drunk and in a car. Full stop. Period. I'm not sitting here making excuses for them. Just in a roundabout way trying to open up people to the concept that things aren't all that black/white. There is this huge huge range of grey in the middle.

:P LOL ... one of those small 330ml tins of beer that the gentleman in the case had serious umbrage in even considering - not only that it was £5GBP but also 330ml!

@nd before you start .. I'm comfortable enough with my own sexuality to sit in a cafe or elsewhere and drink a "peerie pint" anywhere in the world ;)

Well hoosn THe Gunners Eh! that brings back memories..

Gonna be a lot o! homeless folf it the Gunners comes doon..

Worked in Pilton Social Works for yrs and there were ( like most places) a lot of nice folks It used to be a show peice in it,s time until they started dumping all the anti social cases in there...The area has been revamped a couple of times....

need to check wi original post , but i think it was referring to aa court appearances n no just drink driving, of course there will be fine folk among them n total reprebates among us, our petty criminals must rank among the worst. Time to crank out the stats if anybody can be botherd

An aald dear I hom help fur wis moanin aboot da Shetland times crime page(s) da idder week - it wisna see much da eastern europeans but mair da fact dat none o da folk apo it hed Shetland surnames...........

God knows whit she wis gettin at?!

Perhaps you ought to suggest a new pair of glasses for her. Although it rather depends on your definition of a 'Shetland surname', I have just counted six court appearances in last week's paper by people who could very easily have been 'born and bred' Shetlanders, but only four who probably were not. Only one had an Eastern European name.

This claim - 'Shetlanders don't break the law' - has been made over and over again in the past few decades, but it simply isn't true.