The Scheme

I watched this programme cringing the whole way through the two episodes. I lived in a "scheme" when I was younger and can honestly say it was nothing like this one. Maybe it's a time thing and if I lived in one now it would be the same as the one on tv.

Put this on the other night, I had heard about it and seen the trailers but after 5-10 minuetes it was switched off, It just made me angry.

The only solution:

All retailers accepting of goverment issed tokens.

food tokens not cash

Contraceptive inplants whilst on benifit.

Child allowance limited to two children half of which payed in clothing tokens.

I know there are genuine cases of people needing help, the welfare system was started up to help those, stopping them fall into poverty but it was designed as a 6 month safety net not a lifestyle choice!

Many years ago in the US of A a black activist railed against the goverment for introducing the Welfare system there claiming that they had "Condemed my people to eternal poverty" as there was no insentive to go out and get a job and better thier position.

I watched the first two episodes (I believe it's been postponed for the time being due to one resident being in court just now) and I still don't really know how to feel about it.

I can't help but shake my head at the behaviour of some residents. I don't think that particular scheme is much different to other schemes up and down the country. Some of my friends do think it's funny, and I suppose we're laughing at the mistakes and, in some instances, naivety of some of the residents. The trouble is, some could quite easily say that it's exploitative of the way they live, particularly as some are finding humour in it.