Blue green algae Spiggie Loch

DARRON SMITH

Thanks muckleossa. :) I'm currently studying microbes for my OU course and have, just 5 minutes ago, jotted down Spiggie Loch as an example of a cyanobacterial bloom next to the description of how such things happen. Would you mind if I shared your website with my fellow biology students?

If they would open up the canal to the size she once was...

That would be an interesting project, remember the historical evidence which indicates that the loch was a navigable voe a few hundred years ago ;-)

Thanks muckleossa. :) I'm currently studying microbes for my OU course and have, just 5 minutes ago, jotted down Spiggie Loch as an example of a cyanobacterial bloom next to the description of how such things happen. Would you mind if I shared your website with my fellow biology students?

Feel free - those pics are not from Spiggie - they are from Loch of Cliff on Unst last year. I have also seen it on Loch of Huxter (Whalsay), Helliers Water (Unst), Sandy Loch (Lerwick), Loch of Clickimin (Lerwick) and Strand Loch (Gott) although its probably in most Shetland Lochs. It only becomes a problem when the temperature goes up and elevated nutrient levels in the loch cause the algae to rapidly multiply. When the algae dies its releases the toxins - its looks like someone has poured paint in the loch. If you havent already got it - here's a link to the Scottish Government Guidance Document "Blue-Green Algae (Cyanobacteria) in Inland Waters Assessment and Control of Risks to Public Health".

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2002/05/14852/5363

If they would open up the canal to the size she once was...

That would be an interesting project, remember the historical evidence which indicates that the loch was a navigable voe a few hundred years ago ;-)

I wasn't thinking of going quite that far, although to do so could be a lucrative sand-selling exercise for a few of the landowners involved if it was a phased project. More of what I had in mind was to return the existing canal to her original width and depth. The loch has evolved markedly in physical characteristics even in my memory, and continues to do so, and will IMHO be a different shape and size (and arguably much less desirable one) by the century's end the way things are going, Keeping the current reduced canal flow is the main driving force behind those changes IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...