works league

vespaneil

The works league is a great place for young players to learn the game and for old guys, like myself, to keep fit. It is even good for the young fat lads to lose a few pounds. This year I have seen too many A grade players coming down two leagues to run rings around people. I fail to see how they can sleep at night. I hope they enjoy looking at their silverware for years to come and that they will always remember where they played at the peak of their footballing careers.

I hope the spirit of the works league comes back next season.

Yeah there is a lot of quality players in the works league which could easily play for premeir league teams. But the premeir league is taken so seriously that many players would maybe only get half a game, or 10 - 15 minutes in a game, where as they can go to the works league (which has been a good standard recently) and play a lot more often. There are always going to be better teams and worse teams in the league, and this has been the case in the works league this year with a good few teams all with a shout of winning it, but also there has been quite a few upsets, this does go to show it is competitive. And I am yet to see a team made entierly up of players from the A league.

It may even be encouraging to see some of the youngsters choosing a works league team over an A/B team, to get more first team football whether they are less talented or have more competition for places at their chosen clubs. I'm not sure if people would say this is a good or a bad thing but I have seen it happen and personally I can see the benefits in some cases.

If you were talking about the English Premeirship im guessing that you would look down on players going for big money moves from the SPL, lets say Cristophe Berra, or Craig Gordon (from seeing your Hearts badge), to play for mediocre English teams with no history, wheras they can be stars for their boyhood club in Scotland. Although this is completly different circumstances and standard of football to the point where it is their career, I beleive it is similar in principle.

Its just a fact of football, with the exception of one of the Cosmo's players coming in from Thistle and a couple of players that played A's for Yell and Scalloway last season I can't say that there have been to many players dropping down a couple of levels?

What you have is teams where a group of friends are playing in the same team and they tend to draw in more of their group into teams. The rules on eligabilty to play in the works league may give some folk the impression that A or B players cant play in it, but in reality it only means that the good players don't play in SFA competitions they solely play in the works league, you are not able to exclude a player on their level of ability. If you feel that the league does not offer the football it was orginally set up to provide then look at alternatives would a veterans league for over 35's do that? just a few ideas.

the works league has some very talented players! cosmos, tizers, mossbank, burra and baroc have all got players playing for them who should be playing for B teams and in some players cases A teams! but............ the works league is improving every week and players are happy playing in the works league, i also wouldnt brand its for players who are ''fat'' thats out of order! the words i hear everyday is the works league standard is now as high if not better than the B league, which is incredible! because yea 5 years ago the works league was for players who culdnt get a game elsewhere or were pissheads or ''fat'' but that is now changing every season as the works league grows and is attracting some very talented players!