56 members have voted

1. 1. Which browser do you prefer?

• Internet Explorer
    • Firefox
    • Opera
    • Safari (Mac)
    • Other

i dunno. its just hella slow. so IE it is for me

Fair point. You should always use what you are happy with regardless of what anyone else says...but...I would certainly check it out. Firefox (although memory hungry at times) is a lot better than Internet Explorer at rendering pages quickly and efficiently. There are a lot of browsers out there and in my opinion Firefox is one of the best.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never ever liked firefox before.

When proper websites are built, they are made to look good in most browsers. But some websites never looked good in firefox compared to IE.

Anyway, couple of months ago I tried Firefox again with a plugin called Fasterfox which speeds up browsing by making more connections to the server at the same time (i'll be gettting boos from server owners shortly). I thought i'd give it ago. A hell of a lot faster. Went back to IE and it seemed so slow, even on 2mb broadband.

So I've been using firefox for the last 2 months. Tabbed browsing is so much easier too.

David

When proper websites are built, they are made to look good in most browsers. But some websites never looked good in firefox compared to IE.

This is a bit of a misconception. Firefox was developed to adhere to the W3C standards (among others) and therefore renders pages as they SHOULD be seen. It tends to be bad coding on behalf of the web developers that makes the site look poor in Firefox. IE adhered to very few standards and allowed for a LOT of mistakes in coding which ended up with a lot of websites using sloppy code because it didn't really matter.

If you took your car to a mechanic because it was making funny noises and instead of repairing the problem they patched it up with a few cable ties you would probably be mad. There has to be standards otherwise all manner of things could go wrong.

Anyways, rant over, glad you tried Firefox again and have been converted.

It will be interesting to see what a difference IE7 makes when it is finally released. I haven't got around to trying it yet.

Guest yaduk

This is a bit of a misconception. Firefox was developed to adhere to the W3C standards (among others) and therefore renders pages as they SHOULD be seen. It tends to be bad coding on behalf of the web developers that makes the site look poor in Firefox. IE adhered to very few standards and allowed for a LOT of mistakes in coding which ended up with a lot of websites using sloppy code because it didn't really matter.

Indeed.

Its been pondered whether the Internet would be as big as it is today without Microsoft having created a browser which would render any old rubbish markup? Potentially without all the really badly made "my cat" and "my garden" websites of yesteryear the whole thing wouldn't have taken off as fast as it did? Food for thought.

I think it would still be as big but perhaps people would have taken a little longer to come to terms with what it was.

Netscape was there first with Netscape Navigator which then progressed. Take the Netscape Communicator package. It came bundled with Netscape Composer (I think). A sort of WYSIWYG web editor that was hellish...and seemed to force you to use the blink tag!

Microsoft pretty much forced Netscape out of the market which for us was a good thing as they released the source to Navigator which in turn became the Mozilla project which brings us to where we are today with Firefox which is now starting to take over market share. Funny how things always end up coming around full circle. Who's for a browsing spree with Lynx?

Guest yaduk
I think it would still be as big but perhaps people would have taken a little longer to come to terms with what it was.

Yes absolutely. With Microsoft bundling their browser as standard in their operating system, and then moving to make the browser central to that operating system they definetly expediate the rise of the Internet as it was there in front of everyone!

Mosaic was the grandfather of all the graphical browsers - you can download it here. I warn you though that it only renders HTML 3.2!

Does anyone here remember faffing about with BBS systems of yesteryear? Where you dialed into a number and connected to the BBS to d/l files that the sysop had uploaded?

I remember stupidly dialling into some BBS' in America, sitting on them for hours (this was on a crap 14.4k modem!!) when I was young! Oh how the parents loved me when they got their phone bill through :oops: !

Does anyone here remember faffing about with BBS systems of yesteryear? Where you dialed into a number and connected to the BBS to d/l files that the sysop had uploaded?

I had a (either 1200 or 2400 baud) modem for the Commodore 64 and BBS systems were the only option. No web thenadays! Even dialling in locally when Zetnet wasn't Zetnet cost enough. America must have been an absolute fortune. Exactly what were you downloading Yaduk? :lol:

Just to let u know JustMe Firefox allows to set the search box to numerous search options including Google Uk

Follow this link in FireFox https://addons.mozilla.org/search-engines.php

Thanks Hambone, got round to trying that link today. Avant Browser is being deleted for failing to display too many images and not working with Trend Micro's housecall scan.

Another point that should be noted is that Firefox renders pages on a slower connection LOADS faster than Internet Explorer. This is something that Netscape managed in the past as well. It seem to load the layout of the page and text then loads in the images. Internet Explorer tends to load in a 'top-down' fashion. It makes a big difference to those stuck with a slow connection.

• 3 months later...

Just read this thread and felt like throwing in my tuppence worth :P

I used to work in an interactive agency as a copywriter and quickly got bored with the techy people bitching about IE. Now I'm developing my own sites I've started to bore others about it too. Pooks made the point perfectly above

Firefox was developed to adhere to the W3C standards (among others) and therefore renders pages as they SHOULD be seen.

I reckon Microsoft deserves some credit for getting the web working for so many millions, but I feel it is mean and nasty continually to ignore the W3C standards agreed by developers with no motive other than improving the net for all.

The consequence is web-designers have to waste so much energy and time with tricky coding to ensure pages look suitable for IE and standards compliant browsers. I wonder how much better the web would be now if that time wasted was spent designing more appealing sites. I know they would be better designed as far speed and accessibility are concerned.

I would use firefox all the time if I could, but certain internet banking websites and a few others that use certain types of encryption or some wacky embedded code don't seem to like it.

Also, call me paranoid, but using firefox when accessing Microsoft websites (Hotmail, www.microsoft.com etc) seems dead slow - I'm sure they deliberately do something to make them FF incompatible to a certain extent...they’re watching me! I can tell! Where is my Tinfoil hat? WHERE IS IT?!?!?!

I would use firefox all the time if I could, but certain internet banking websites and a few others that use certain types of encryption or some wacky embedded code don't seem to like it.

Also, call me paranoid, but using firefox when accessing Microsoft websites (Hotmail, www.microsoft.com etc) seems dead slow - I'm sure they deliberately do something to make them FF incompatible to a certain extent...they’re watching me! I can tell! Where is my Tinfoil hat? WHERE IS IT?!?!?!

IETab is your friend! Open an Internet Explorer page in a Firefox tab -->

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/

Huge thanks to you Pooks, that will be such a useful extension to Firefox... the first I've added, and was very impressed at how easy and quick it was to install, 2 or 3 clicks and a Firefox restart - c.2mins.

I never liked opening IE and now I can deal with the necessity of doing so with greater ease....cheers :D