lcd tv repair

dtothet

There was a man in, I think, Cunningsburgh who repaired TVs for Last Ditchology but I do not have contact details.

Alternatively there is a bit of law about goods being fit for purpose and one could well argue that a £500 TV should last more than 18 months even if you did not take out any "extended warranty".

There was a man in, I think, Cunningsburgh who repaired TVs for Last Ditchology but I do not have contact details.

Alternatively there is a bit of law about goods being fit for purpose and one could well argue that a £500 TV should last more than 18 months even if you did not take out any "extended warranty".

this is my plan actually if they give me any hassle

its a toshiba tv i got from amazon.co.uk. i imagine amazon wont be interested in doing anything about it so ill call up toshiba today

this is my plan actually if they give me any hassle

its a toshiba tv i got from amazon.co.uk. i imagine amazon wont be interested in doing anything about it so ill call up toshiba today

Maybe you should have bought local, may have saved you this hassle :wink:

If you have no joy with Toshiba or Amazon then i would definately try Brian Priest at Last Ditchology(695780), guys a bloody genius with all things electrical.....Goodluck

I am aware of his mad skillzez, though I was recently told he no longer fixes things that people take in off the street. I think it was maybe because he's quite busy with the work the cope give him already if i recall correctly

Below are all the emails (newest at the top).

I reckon I could complain a bit more about how the TV had an inherent fault that only just appeared, but instead I'm gonna take the £75 refund and put it towards getting it fixed by Tam Dalziel.. Mainly because I think they'll first want an engineer to confirm it's a physical fault that's always been there and that'll involve either sending it away/paying someone local to say so, and I'd rather just get it fixed asap without involving mailing it south or anything.

-------------------------------------------

Dear Mr Tait,

My name is Peter Johnstone and I represent Executive Customer Relations within Amazon.co.uk and in this capacity, your correspondence has been brought to my attention.

I am sorry to hear of the difficulty experienced with the "Toshiba 40RV753B 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p" received on 7th Jul 201 from your order # 203-7945699-8027525.

The European Directive 1999/44/EC allows for a claim to be taken (under certain circumstances) for a period up to two years in accordance with European Law, and up to six years under UK law.

This does not imply that an item has a warranty of two years or six years respectively. It merely permits an individual to make a claim under certain circumstances within that time period, e.g. should a fault be proved to have been inherent in the first six months.

Amazon do not provide the warranty for this item. We do, however, cover our obligations under the relevant legislation such as the Sales of Goods Act 1979 in the UK. Under the Sale of Goods Act, a consumer is granted recourse against a seller of goods if those goods were defective at the time of purchase. This may include, in certain circumstances, repair, refund or replacement but only to the extent that doing so is not disproportionate to the value of the goods, having regard to the use the customer has already had of the goods and the nature of the goods.

You purchased your product approximately 15 months ago and, until recently, have used it successfully and reported no fault with the product. Given your satisfactory use of the product for a period of time which exceeded the manufacturer's warranty period, it is not established that the product did not conform to the contract (i.e. was defective) at the time of purchase.

Amazon.co.uk is therefore not under an obligation to offer any additional assistance in repairing or replacing your product.

However, although we do not have any obligation to do so under the Sale of Goods Act or otherwise, in this circumstance as a measure of good will we would like to offer you a choice of the following resolutions:

1. An Amazon.co.uk gift certificate to the value of 100 GBP.

2. A refund of 75 GBP.

Please reply directly to this e-mail to confirm if you wish to accept either of these offers as a full and final settlement in this matter and I will make the appropriate arrangements.

Thank you for your attention to this email.

Regards

Peter Johnstone

Executive Customer Relations

Amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk

==========================

----------------------------------------------------

Hello Amazon.co.uk,

Thank you for your timely and helpful reply. I have since been made aware that my concerns regarding the Sale of Goods act should actually be raised with the Retailer and not the manufacturer, so I now believe my request for repair should be lodged with yourselves.

I am aware that the warranty has run out but I believe my rights gained from the durability section of the Sale of Goods act state that items bought should last for a reasonable amount of time. If you are willing to discuss what a reasonable time for an LCD TV to work for is then I would be willing to do so, though I think we can both agree a year and a half is not reasonable for a £500 purchase.

I has read from manufacturers that 6 years is a reasonable amount of time for their TVs to last. I got under a year and a halfs use out of a £500 purchase that aparrently should have lasted 6 years. I have essentially gotten £125 use out of my purchase, which is upsetting but leads me to another point.

I'm not sure what your preferred actions are in these situations, either repairing my TV, replacing it with a likewise model or paying my fee's to get it repaired locally. I would like to present another option if your procedures can cope with 'side deals' as it were. Since I got £125 of use out of a £500 purchase I am essentially out £375. I propose that I send the TV back to Amazon, where it can be refurbed or whatever you deem necessary, and refund me £300. I chose £300 instead of the £375 I feel I've lost out on because I consider myself a reasonable man. In fact, I would be happy for this £300 to be in the form of an Amazon.co.uk voucher as I currently plan on replacing the TV with one from Amazon.co.uk.

I realise as a large company you may have fixed procedures that don't have any leeway, but still, it's another option, and one I would prefer as it cuts out a lot of the hassle and correspondence from the situation.

I look forward to hearing from you again,

Duncan

> Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 21:00:37 +0000

> From: cs-reply@amazon.co.uk

> To: dunctait@hotmail.com

> Subject: Your Amazon.co.uk Enquiry

>

> Hello Mr Duncan

>

> I am sorry that you are not happy with your purchase.

>

> We're sorry to hear of the issues you have experienced with the "Toshiba 40RV753B 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Digital LCD TV with Freeview HD" you purchased from us.

>

> All electronics item purchased from Amazon.co.uk come with a 1 year warranty from the manufacturer. However, on checking your order #203-7945699-8027525, I found that it was placed on July 03, 2010 and warranty period has expired.

>

> Unfortunately, as you purchased this product on July 03, 2010, and have used it without experiencing problems (to our knowledge), for a substantial period of time, we are unable to take further action against this item.

>

> Also, please be informed that we currently do not offer an extended warranty on the electronics items sold by the retail stores, unless otherwise stated.

>

> We encourage you to consult the manual that came with the package for warranty and service information.

>

> Please check whether your product still has a valid manufacturer’s warranty, either an original warranty or an extended warranty that you would have purchased at the time of purchase of your product.

>

> If your product is still within its warranty period or you did purchase an extended warranty, please get in touch with the manufacturer immediately. The manufacturer may offer a repair or replacement service under its warranty terms.

>

> If the manufacturer's warranty has expired, we still suggest that you contact the manufacturer. Depending on the circumstances, they may be prepared to help you or provide you with details of the charges for an out of warranty repair.

>

> In the majority of cases, we have found that many functionality issues can be resolved by closely following the instruction methods described in the manual or by contacting the manufacturer to ascertain if this is a known issue.

>

> In general, we have found that common faults have been recognised by the manufacturer, and that they have developed quick and easy solutions.

> You may contact "Toshiba" by using the following:

>

> Website address: http://www.toshiba.co.uk/

>

> E-mail address: https://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/Corporate/Support/

>

> Phone Number: 8448560730

>

> I would like to appreciate your understanding in this case and hope this information is helpful.

>

> Thank you for your patience and understanding, and for shopping at Amazon.co.uk.

>

> Did I solve your problem?

>

> If yes, please click here:

> http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/survey?p=A8E6QZOBYGIND&k=hy

>

> If no please click here

> http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/survey?p=A8E6QZOBYGIND&k=hn

>

> To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our website: http://www.amazon.co.uk/help

>

> Warmest regards,

>

>

> Rajesh

> Amazon.co.uk

> Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.

poindextrose

'as I currently plan on replacing the TV with one from Amazon.co.uk.'

Why don't you just buy local and take all this hassle out of the equation? 'once bitten, twice shy' and all that.

Surely that would be a more inviting prospect than the one you are facing now!

If I was an unhappy customer with a £500 TV that died after 15 months I would be very tempted to claim that there was indeed an inherent fault in the product even though it took 15 months to show up. That said if the refund offered by Amazon will pay the cost of getting the TV working again I might well accept that.

Somewhat off topic but at the same time relevant I have just received a purchase from an Amazon Marketplace seller seller that has arrived broken. I reckon this is simply a case of someone somewhere dropping the parcel between the seller and me. Now I hope the seller is going to send me a new item and claim off their carrier for the loss and that Amazon will back me up if I hit any problems but this is not yet confirmed.