Cost of PC hardware...

SwanNeck

On the plus side - RAM prices have been dropping through the floor and are forecast to keep going for a bit yet. Now is an excellent time to load up a box for VM duties.

My dosh is too thin on the ground ATM to even look at SSD drives. I would love one but they dinnae look nearly reliable enough to avoid having to replace them as seams to be their way.

I took the plunge in June and it lasted 3 months before packing in. Guy in the office next door to me bought one the same week and it packed in within days of mine. Both were 120 GB OCZ Vertex 2. I havent got round to chasing up OCZ for a repair/replacement yet.

It was awesome while it worked though :roll:

On the plus side - RAM prices have been dropping through the floor and are forecast to keep going for a bit yet. Now is an excellent time to load up a box for VM duties.

My dosh is too thin on the ground ATM to even look at SSD drives. I would love one but they dinnae look nearly reliable enough to avoid having to replace them as seams to be their way.

I took the plunge in June and it lasted 3 months before packing in. Guy in the office next door to me bought one the same week and it packed in within days of mine. Both were 120 GB OCZ Vertex 2. I havent got round to chasing up OCZ for a repair/replacement yet.

It was awesome while it worked though :roll:

Dammit, that's exactly what I bought. :evil:

^ Did you try to update the firmware on them? I heard about a lot of Vertex 2 drives dying in a short period of time.

The drive is locked and the bios does not see it, have tried it in more than one machine so I know its a drive problem. From what I've read the Sandforce driver used on the Vertex 2 have some sort of emergency mode it reverts to that can only be fixed with an RMA. A lot of people with problems report it occuring after the PC has been in sleep mode.

I'll try & mind to contact OZC this weekend and will post how I get on here.

This article will help you SSD owners (I hate you!) sleep soundly at night :wink:

...He purchased eight SSDs over the last two years … and all of them failed. The tale of the tape is frankly a little terrifying:

Super Talent 32 GB SSD, failed after 137 days

OCZ Vertex 1 250 GB SSD, failed after 512 days

G.Skill 64 GB SSD, failed after 251 days

G.Skill 64 GB SSD, failed after 276 days

Crucial 64 GB SSD, failed after 350 days

OCZ Agility 60 GB SSD, failed after 72 days

Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD, failed after 15 days

Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD, failed after 206 days

The author is still using SSDs though.

• 2 weeks later...