Shetland Internet Businesses

voicebox

I enquired ages ago re advertising on here but until the Moderators either start charging for business classifieds ads, then I don't really think it is fair for this thread to continue - why should a jewellery maker who sells via the internet have any advantage over, for example, a childminder or plumber who get their ads withdrawn from the classifieds?

I would say it should depends on what you are doing. If you are just buying, repacking and selling, it is not really a craft that has gone on locally. Yet if you manufacture then maybe. Perhaps limit to crafts.

There are plenty of other ways to advertise your business in Shetland and beyond if you are acting as a middle person.

Good luck to all here who have developed skills and crafts in Shetland.

Well, if nothing else I have now heard of Hameaboot for the first time, which seems an excellent shop window for what is available.

I'm sure that many others, not just me and him, buy at farmers markets and local craft fairs. Usually good quality, and you have the chance to see before you buy.

I always buy home-made cakes and jams.......

I would say it should depends on what you are doing. If you are just buying, repacking and selling, it is not really a craft that has gone on locally. Yet if you manufacture then maybe. Perhaps limit to crafts..

We could have a 'Crafty Corner' on Shetlink where folk post their wares. To swap or to sell.

A donation to Shetlink if items are sold is a possibility and something I was prepared to do if I had sold some jewellery that I put on before Christmas.

Unfortunately I didn't sell anything on Shetlink.

I didn't know that Shetland Classifieds existed so that was useful for me...

I'm sure it says in the Bible somewhere, a quote...'gather all ye craft workers in one specified place and henceforth they shall prevail in gathering the coin of the realm... Or something like that...

:wink:

Well in the summer it might be good if craft workers from Yell, Unst and Fetlar could have some sort of stall at one of the ferry terminals. Ulsta would see the most traffic with Gutcher coming a close second. Something in the Wind Dog Cafe would be great if you could organise it. Or of course as a one year experiment it would be great if enough craft workers could get one of the shops on the street to sell their wares........empty shop on a short term lease.

The internet is of course the future for lots of selling but arts and crafts surely need a "real" shop so people can see the goods.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for encouraging folk to be able to sell their products/services on here. However, yet again, this thread seems to be erring on the side of 'crafts' only. It really doesn't or shouldn't matter whether someone makes crafts or offers a service as at the end of the day, we are local businesses/sole traders trying to make a living and it would be great if the local community supported us.

Yes, this thread has been useful in highlighting existing directories/websites but to be frank, whilst Shetlink does not take business ads in the Classifieds and the Moderators do delete those ads they spot, should we not abide by the T&Cs and accept this or should I accept the attitude to hell with it and advertise/name drop my business on here also?

I you were asking for advice on where you can sell, advertise your business, make contacts etc - fine but the OP has just given herself free advertising - no?

There are lots of places to list your business, regardless of what it is.... to add to the ones already mentioned how about these:

http://shetlopedia.com/Category:Shetland_Businesses

http://www.communitydirectory.shetland.gov.uk/

http://www.links.shetland.co.uk/

Good luck with it.

Well, it looks like this thread is winding up to finish. Thanks for everyone's input.

Was hoping that more diverse areas than crafts would be mentioned but it's fairly obvious that there is an opening for a North Isles Craft Fair or a get together in the coming better weather.

We've just started a Fetlar Makers Group which is well attended so we will see how that goes.

I think it might be worth asking Shetlink about a 'Craft Corner' where folk can advertise their homemade wares...after all it would only be an extension of the existing Classified Section.it's a least worth an enquiry.