Shetland Telecom....

SwanNeck

This is all about "empire building" trying to be one up on BT

This network will only be of benefit to a very few & at what cost .

Watch what happens as the roads & verges deteriorate & this cable starts to give problems.

This will happen ,how can a few strands of glass be supported in a pothole.

Another waste of money & I would like to know how much this is costing the council .

Iknow there is outside funding but this would have been better spent keeping rural schools open !

yas yas dis damned internet hit'll never catch on, too much clack clack double clack an nekkid wimmin on dere

Yes - my point exactly, suppose if most folk are in my position then there would be no need of this cable and the SIC could have saved their (our) money.

The network we are putting in is a backhaul network. It is a transmission network which service providers can use. I don't really understand what you mean? Yes, your current needs might not justify the investment on it's own but many do need better connections. Nobody is going to force you to use it. We don't have a mandate to connect you...that would be up to the service providers.

One of the many and varied reasons why the Council in putting in the fibre optic network is to save revenue costs... It has operated a successful fibre optic network within Lerwick for many years which saves the Council a small fortune year on year. This is no different.

Watch what happens as the roads & verges deteriorate & this cable starts to give problems.

Another waste of money & I would like to know how much this is costing the council .

Iknow there is outside funding but this would have been better spent keeping rural schools open !

Oh dear ... one of those folk that that only look backwards ?

The how to support the fibre problem was solved many years ago, this is not new technology.

Even if the cable project had not gone ahead, that money could not be legally spent in keeping rural schools open.

The network we are putting in is a backhaul (or Wholesale) network. BT, C&W, Vodafone, etc etc etc can all use our network if they so wish. BT operate in the retail market (as well as the Wholesale but they have no wholesale capacity left on the microwave link).

The entire world buries cables of all types and descriptions and have done for many years.

£1.1m for the original installation. £1m has been allocated for this year and next. . The whole network is justified on varing ROI depending on which bit of the network. The business case does not account for a single customer other than the Council....

The reason the schools are under threat is that the revenue budgets of the Council are under a severe strain. The network will reduce the Council's revenue costs because if it was not there then the Council would have to buy services. The expected lifespan of a fibre network is 25 years. I can't claim the network will save the schools but it will help with the future viability of the schools and all other Council services.

Yes - my point exactly, suppose if most folk are in my position then there would be no need of this cable and the SIC could have saved their (our) money.

I am in your position, I have a good connection for which I am very grateful. However, the reliability of the microwave link can be a bit poo, so I'd welcome an alternative (a low latency one ;)). As long as the monthly cost is reasonable.

Also, cable now means more opportunities later...

I am in your position, I have a good connection for which I am very grateful. However, the reliability of the microwave link can be a bit poo, so I'd welcome an alternative (a low latency one ;)). As long as the monthly cost is reasonable.

Also, cable now means more opportunities later...

Cable will usually be more reliable than microwave.

But remember most of the ADSL, and network connections already is fibre, so getting rid of the the bit that links us to Scottish mainland will only have a relatively small affect on latency.

Just checked my connections with Pngs to a London data centre.

BT - Microwave to North of Scotland, then fibre.. 50 ms

CW - Microwave to Glasgow (ish) then fibre ... 31 ms

ST - Fibre all the way ... 24 ms

So fibre all the way is by far the best.

But it is not a fair comparrison, because ADSL network is a beast all to itself and most of the extra latency is that network, not whether the Shetland leg is carried on microwave or fibre, which probably only accounts for about 7 ms.

But remember most of the ADSL, and network connections already is fibre, so getting rid of the the bit that links us to Scottish mainland will only have a relatively small affect on latency.

I was referring to a comparison to satellite, reliable but high latency... my fault I should have made that clear. ADSL is OK but I would fancy fps games via space!

:)

I was referring to a comparison to satellite, reliable but high latency... my fault I should have made that clear. ADSL is OK but I would fancy fps games via space!

For two-way comms, satellite is a connection of last resort.

Arrgghh that should read wouldn't

With the news that's out about BT laying in ADSL2+ for the start of next year must mean better things for us gamers and lovers of 'always on' internet connections, woohoo ! ! ! ! At last, the wheels of something are in motion...

Remember that due to the technology, ADSL2+ only improves speeds for those that are already getting at least 3 Mbps.