Budget Gaming PC's

sadie j 54

I had a look as well, I am thinking of replacing this old beast, I do quite allot of research and much of it involves viewing MP4 files and the such. What I was confused with, or may be not is the difference in processors. An i7 processor in a machine does not make it a faster machine. The cheapest one I found was for a little under £500, though it only had 2 out of 10 marks as a gaming machine. The fact it could be out of date so to speak in a few months for the serious gamer is no saving. I did like the stats of the extreme machines, water cooled...

Coolermaster Cosmos 2 Case

Corsair HX 1050W Modular PSU

Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5Ghz Processor

Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooler

ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard

32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz RAM

2 x Nvidia GTX 690 4GB Graphics Cards in QuadSLI

2 x Corsair Force3 480GB Solid state Drives

Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA III 7200rpm Hard Drive

High speed DVD and CD Rewriter

4 Front & 4 Rear USB 2.0 and 2 Front & 4 Rear USB 3.0 Ports

Gigabit Ethernet

Too much I would think for my on line Halo experience :wink:

What I was confused with, or may be not is the difference in processors. An i7 processor in a machine does not make it a faster machine. ...

Coolermaster Cosmos 2 Case

Corsair HX 1050W Modular PSU

Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5Ghz Processor

Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooler

ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard

32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz RAM

2 x Nvidia GTX 690 4GB Graphics Cards in QuadSLI

2 x Corsair Force3 480GB Solid state Drives

Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA III 7200rpm Hard Drive

High speed DVD and CD Rewriter

4 Front & 4 Rear USB 2.0 and 2 Front & 4 Rear USB 3.0 Ports

Gigabit Ethernet

Too much I would think for my on line Halo experience :wink:

i think you are slightly confused about the difference between a processor and RAM

RAM can be compared to a person's short-term memory and the hard disk to the long-term memory. the short-term memory focuses on work at hand, but can only keep so many facts in view at one time. if short-term memory fills up, your brain sometimes is able to refresh it from facts stored in long-term memory. a computer also works this way. if RAM fills up, the processor needs to continually go to the hard disk to overlay old data in RAM with new, slowing down the computer's operation. Unlike the hard disk which can become completely full of data so that it won't accept any more, RAM never runs out of memory. It keeps operating, but much more slowly than you may want it to.

so i hope this has cleared this up, a processors speed determines how fast a pc/laptop can run.

oh and that specs you posted are all pretty good but the h80 water cooling is noisy and not all that good (custom ones look alot better and run alot quieter)

why in the love of god is there 2x 420gb SSD's? RAID0 with SSD is almost pointless

Not surprised anybody is confused about computer specs to be honest. The IT market goes to great lengths to keep the general public confused. That way they will keep on spending money on machines with power that they will never actually use.

Intel decided to 'streamline' their processor range by bringing out the i3, i5 and i7 processors. Simple really....

i3 is Entry Level

i5 is Mid Range

i7 is Pro

Except it isn't. Each processor has a range within it. Some of the i5 processors are faster than the i7's. The end consumer doesn't realise this, and they have no need to.

I do take exception to tha fact that Intel processors are miles better than AMD's without any explanation. As the two main CPU manufacturers out there, they both tend to take turns as to who has the fastest/bestest chips around. Sometimes Intel has the stronghold, sometimes AMD does. Neither are worse in that respect, it just depends what is available on the market at the time.

Not surprised anybody is confused about computer specs to be honest. The IT market goes to great lengths to keep the general public confused. That way they will keep on spending money on machines with power that they will never actually use.

Intel decided to 'streamline' their processor range by bringing out the i3, i5 and i7 processors. Simple really....

i3 is Entry Level

i5 is Mid Range

i7 is Pro

Except it isn't. Each processor has a range within it. Some of the i5 processors are faster than the i7's. The end consumer doesn't realise this, and they have no need to.

I do take exception to tha fact that Intel processors are miles better than AMD's without any explanation. As the two main CPU manufacturers out there, they both tend to take turns as to who has the fastest/bestest chips around. Sometimes Intel has the stronghold, sometimes AMD does. Neither are worse in that respect, it just depends what is available on the market at the time.

That doesn't even work any more either. Even low end i3 Ivy Bridge chips are staggeringly more powerful than anything "entry level" that we've ever had before.

Oh and yeah, stay the hell away from AMD chips. Single core performance even on their fastest chips is utterly pathetic. It's a real shame, AMD used to be a great cheap alternative before the Core 2 age.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an i5 3570k 3.40GHz, overclocked and stable at 4.2Ghz on a stock cooler, thought about the i7's but all the i5 K range has open multipliers hence giving it amazing clock speeds, and reasonably priced.

In my mind if anyone wants to start a business up here, selling gamers hardware, the best way would be to sell individual items and sell them as close to online prices as possible, I wouldn't mind paying slightly higher prices if I knew I could get it when I wanted it, the only downside to that to make any profit off it would to buy it in bulk, and that for CPU's, GFX cards, memory etc would mean a huge amount of money and the likely hood that by the time you got through half of your stock, things would of moved on hugely in terms of computer specs.