Entertaining Children

I'll be up in Shetland on Saturday for a week - Can't wait !!!

I've had quite a bit of grief from 'er indoors' (in a slightly threatening tone), along the lines of "I hope that will there will be enough to entertain the kids" (The boys aged 12, 10 & 2 haven't been to Shetland before).

I've already booked a fishing trip and I plan to visit Trondra Farm - thanks 'Marooned in Maywick' for that suggestion.

I'd be very pleased to hear any suggestions of how/where I could entertain the brats; 'cos if they're happy, the missus is happy !

Is there any place where films are shown in the evening ?

We are staying in Hamnavoe; does anyone know if there is a football pitch there where we could have a 'kick around'? Does Hamnavoe have any playground ?

ANY help/advice would be gratefully received !!! With a bit of luck, your suggestions will enable me to design an itinerary which my missus will think I've planned on my own - which means maximum brownie points and a stress-free holiday !!!

Has anyone suggested Old Scatness yet - I presume you'll have transport.

If the living history team are there, they usually have a good talk with demos and try-it-yourselfing of ... well... old stuff. Plus it's close to Jarlshof which is okay for a wander around - some underground-type cupboardy things I believe. Also nearby is Sumburgh Head if you want to do some puffin-watching or, if you're lucky, the orcas might pop by for a look.

There's quite a few natural world type tour offerers on the go - wildlife, geology etc - never been on one though.

Also never been on one of Elma's walks (Lerwick)but, knowing her quite well, she could certainly keep you interested with her stories.

Clickimin pool(Lerwick) is okay for a quick splash around - it has two flumes but they're both pretty tame.

Hamnavoe does have a football pitch.

The older two boys I'd quite happily let them wander around the pier/shingly beach at Hamnavoe rock-pooling etc. There's better, sandier beaches elsewhere in Burra.

Skeld regatta is on Saturday - that would have some sideshows, bouncy castle, kids' landsports at 3pm, Hom Bru (a local band - good one) playing in the marquee in the afternoon.

Might be best to get a Shetland Times on the boat on Friday night - again I presume that's how you're travelling and I'm still too lazy to check back - and see what they have in the way of events.

Lunna is a beautiful spot for a picnic/ramble. It is a bit of a shame there isn't an information board or something for visitors.

eg The "big house" Lunna house was the centre of operations for the secret Shetland Bus operations for part of WW2, but also note the ancient roadways leading down the hill from the front of it to the big old stone gateway next to the froad, and also to the beach, where the derelict building is a former 'herring station' for the old herring drifters to land. Then there is the old church complete with 'portals' on the former extension on the seaward side which i was told was to allow the local lepers to follow the services without entering the church.The graveyard has some interesting stones. Also the recesses next to the main door of the church ( we were told) were for anyone 'of shame' in the community to stand in and be viewed by the community on a sunday( stick the kids in them and take a pic!). The church is usually open and suitably quaint (leave a donation mind :wink: ) and the watch tower on the hill is a good little ramble. Great for photographs too.

Oh yeah, and the main thing that interests kids out of all this wonderful location.....there's lots of crabs and butterfish and things under the stones on the beach. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Might be worth checking out Sumburgh head. Good chance of seeing Killer Whales. Seen them twice in last week, I think it's the same pod that has been seen in Lerwick several times recently. But at least the seabirds at Sumburgh will be memorable.

Guest Anonymous

Oh, and if you're in the South end, remember Jarlshof, Quendale Mill, Crofthouse Museum, St.Ninians Isle, etc... etc.. Sorry for being a bit pushy about my own area.. :lol: :lol:

If you have transport take a run to the Northern Isles. The trip on the ferries would be amusement to bairns who weren't used to them plus there are lots of things to do and see up there.

If its a fine day the beaches are brilliant (I'm suffering from Fetlar sunburn today). The wholemeal bread from the Baltasound bakery is also worth purchasing for your snacks and the bus shelter has a space theme this year.

While a lot of people run through Yell in an attempt to get somewhere else there is a really nice little playground on the East side with a picnic table and peerie housie for the bairns.

On the mainland the Eshaness cafe is serving really good meals- if you're energetic then a walk to Fethaland might interest, but with a 2yr old I could see that being less inspiring.

The burn at Lunklett - between Aith and Voe - is a nice walk and lots of water to splash in for the bairns (and adults).

I've also found the cafe at the Weisdale Mill and the Voe Tavern child friendly - and believe you me with my darling they need to be!

Enjoy!

While a lot of people run through Yell in an attempt to get somewhere else there is a really nice little playground on the East side with a picnic table and peerie housie for the bairns.

Is that Aywick? About halfway between Burravoe and Mid Yell. Quite a scenic drive

I've also found the cafe at the Weisdale Mill and the Voe Tavern child friendly

You may get a frosty reception when you walk into the Voe Tavern. It's been a private house for years now :wink:

Here's a couple of suggestions for you from my own experience. I have 3 active boys myself and find Shetland a cracking place to entertain them, especially in Summer.

Take a journey to Seafield (just by Somerfield) on a sunny day where you can feed the ducks at the end and also keep an eye out for the local seals sunning themselves on the rocks. Never ceases to amaze my boys.

There's a wonderful beach at St Ninians Isle around Bigton and the playpark offers plenty for kids of all ages (but never go to this beach when it's windy!). It also has a scandalously tasty Coffee shop with limited opening hours. Spiggie beach is also an excellent place for a picnic and if you're lucky enough you can see the seals surfing onto the beach. Some fine exploring to be had in the sand dunes also.

Clickiminn broch is a great place to take the kids, they'll love hiding in the various caves and rummaging around the ruins. The walk around the loch is fine also.

There are some fine Shetland Ponies running wild in the fields around Asta, you can stop in one of the passing places and have a gander at them.

Meal beach near Hamnavoe is an ideal place for a paddle on a bright day although it is a wee bit treacherous to get to with peerier kids (there's a steep hill to access it) although the older bairns will certainly appreciate this :)

Clickiminn pool is excellent for older kids, especially on days when they have the huge inflatables out or the flippers and floats in lanes, phone ahead to find times. The baby pool is a wee bit cold in Clickiminn though, go to Scalloway instead for babies, it's much warmer. There is a fine play area for toddlers in Clickiminn if your wee one gets too cold. The food is a bit pricey here but the kids will like the boxes you get, Shetland's answer to Mickey D's.

Sumburgh Head , near the airpiort, is an adventure to say the least, especially climbing the hill to the Observatory, you can usually spot plenty of birds in the nooks and crannies or even an Orca or 2 if you're really lucky. The settlement at Jarlshof is a very interested excursion for the whole family and lunch at the Sumburgh hotel is hearty, healthy and half as much as in Lerwick :)

For cheap eats i would heartily recommend the Havly Cafe in Lerwick, very reasonable prices and a kid friendly environment which even has a sun patio on nicer days.

Isleburgh community centre is certainly a fine place to leave the older kids, they have loads of activities this time of year, as well as pool tables, arcade machines, air hockey, a huge projector screen and delicious "McFlurry" type concoctions.

If it's raining then a visit to Shetland Library is in order. They have a well stocked reading corner and the staff are very helpful and knowledgeable.

I particularly like going to Lerwick Harbour this time of year. There are numerous vessels form all corners of the globe to see and if you're lucky you'll catch one of those gargantuan Cruise ships.

Finally The Fort chippy next to Harry's has an organic Cod supper to die for and have couple of crab sticks they are sublime.

I could go on for hours, Shetland is a great place for kids, so glad i moved here. Hope you have a fine time up here and if you need anymore suggestions then holler.

:P

I've also found the cafe at the Weisdale Mill and the Voe Tavern child friendly

You may get a frosty reception when you walk into the Voe Tavern. It's been a private house for years now :wink:

Well their food was good - perhaps that's why! I meant the pub in Lower Voe - I've forgotten it's name. Perhaps I'm showing my age!

Sorry for the error :lol: