Your 5 Best Gigs

Tomblands

1.) Foo Fighters SECC 12th December 2005, Dave Grohl was on fire! Played an acoustic version of Everlong which was fantastic.

2.) U2 Hampden Park 2005, Not a big U2 fan but they really did blow me away, Bono and The Edge were amazing.

3.) Green Day, Milton Keynes Bowl 18th June 2005.

4.) The Strokes, T in The Park 2004, Played an excellent set considering Julian Casablancs was absolutely turd faced! Played an excellent version of Clampdown by the Clash which made my weekend!

5.) The Pouges, Dropkick Murphys, Carling Academy Glasgow. Dropkick Murphys were good even tho the sound was poor but the Pogues were brilliant played all the classics, and I nearly pissed myself when Shane Macgowan tried to unwind his microphone from its stand after he swung it around it, needless to say he was had 1 to many martinis!

My absolute all time top gig was the Humpff Family in the acoustic tent at Fleadh '92 at Glasgow Green. Amazing! The place was so busy that no-one else could get in. Was way better than either of the headline acts - only one of which I can even remember now.

As for the next four - I'd have a hard job deciding!

It's only in the last year or so I have actually started trying to go and see gigs, so the choice is limited... however:

5. Dogs Die In Hot Cars - Glasgow Garage - May 2005

First 'proper' gig I ever went to see. Was in the middle of my exams so needed the break. All the songs were great, the band were on top form and it was an excellent weekend.

4. Roddy Womble/Hazy Janes/The Family Mahone - North Star - June 2006

Yes a recent local gig makes it into my top 5. Hearing You Held The World In Your Arms and American English being played acoustically to only a few of us was increadibly surreal. The Family Mahone were on top form... to the drinking songs!

3. Ian Brown - Aberdeen Arena - February 2006

He made such an effort to do an excellent show. Tiring weekend to get there, back and not miss any work, but it was worth it. The man is a legend... enough said!

2. Oasis - Newcastle Arena - July 2005

First time seeing the greatest band to grace this earth. The crowd singing Live Forever was a hair on the back of your neck moment. Well worth the boat/the train/overnight in Newcastle/train/boat few days I had.

1. Oasis - Aberdeen Arena - December 2005

For almost the same reasons as above, except this gig comes on top because Noel performed the Masterplan.

Seeing The Kooks, The Automatic, Razorlight and We Are Scientists in the space of two weeks in October, so I wonder if any of them will make it into the top 5. Razorlight is the only one I'm thinking might.

2. Oasis - Newcastle Arena - July 2005

First time seeing the greatest band to grace this earth. The crowd singing Live Forever was a hair on the back of your neck moment. Well worth the boat/the train/overnight in Newcastle/train/boat few days I had.

The greatest band to grace the earth! I think your havin a laugh mate

For almost the same reasons as above, except this gig comes on top because Noel performed the Masterplan.

Had I actually paid (I won the tickets) to see that gig I would have probably asked for my money back. I don't think it was down to Oasis, they weren't too bad I must admit, but more the combination of the support act being terrible, the crowd being filled with morons, the constant singing of football songs and the AECC being a sharn venue. And my ears were buggered for about a week afterwards, certainly the worst they have been after a gig.

1. Mariza, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, 2006: an extraordinary Portuguese/Mozambique fado singer I went down to see at Celtic Connections.

2. Alison Krauss & Union Station, Glasgow Concert Hall, 1998: there were a few Shetlanders went down for this and I think we were all moved to tears.

3. Jeff Buckley, Manchester Uni student union, 1995: My girfriend of the time secretly got tickets, organised me a week's hols and blagged free flights - has to be the best surprise birthday present ever. Sadly, I overdid the whooping-up so details of the gig are hazy.

4. Neil Young, SECC, Glasgow, 2001: my all-time hero, I'd seen him before but was a bit disappointed. This time he did more acoustic stuff and made up for it.

5. The Stranglers, Rainbow, London, 1979: scary gig for three 16-year-old Shetland boys who then got mugged afterwards at East Ham tube station.

Bubbling under (if you will indulge me a little longer). . .

Nirvana, King's Hall, Belfast, 1992. Not a good one for Kurt, rushed to hospital at the end with ye olde stomach pains. Still managed to trash all the gear. The venue was awful.

Thin Lizzy, Capitol, Aberdeen 1981-ish: unfortunately it wasn't Scott and Brian on geetars. One of them was there, along with I think Gary Moore.

Pop Will Eat Itself, Glasgow Barrowlands, 1991?: a mind-blowing experience with a loada partyin' Whalsa dudes

ZZ Top, Glasgow Apollo, 1983, Eliminator tour.

Had I actually paid (I won the tickets) to see that gig I would have probably asked for my money back. I don't think it was down to Oasis, they weren't too bad I must admit, but more the combination of the support act being terrible, the crowd being filled with morons, the constant singing of football songs and the AECC being a sharn venue. And my ears were buggered for about a week afterwards, certainly the worst they have been after a gig.

I thought the support band were'nt that bad. However I had listened to some of their songs previously before going. Any band would be rubbish live if you didn't know their songs.

If you are referring to Shack, personally I think they are a very good band with some great songs. I saw them support Oasis on that tour - I wish I had never gone because they are utterly dreadful live now, and a large proportion of the type of people that go to their gigs are nothing other than boorish morons - especially in Glasgow! Michael Head got so pissed off with the abuse during the gig I was at that he ended up playing frenetically, absolutely brilliantly for the last couple of songs and telling sections of the crowd to go pootle themselves. Good for him.

I completely agree with Neil, Shack are one of the best and most underated bands of the last 20 years. Check out Waterpistol or HMS Fable and you'll see what i mean (this year's On The Corner With Miles And Gil is a great effort as well).

I've seen Shack 4 times, thankfully in an appropriate venue each time, and each time have been spellbound by their performance.

Shack are certainly NOT an arena band, but seeing as they had just signed to Noel Gallagher's record label I can see why they were put on that tour.

1. Einsturzende Neubaten - Phoenician Club (Sydney), 1987 or 8

- shopping trolleys, anvils and Bad Seed Blixa Bargeld's unforgettably extreme vocals

2. The Dandy Warhols - The Astoria (London), 1999

- just as they were making it huge, Rocking good songs, and enough attitude to let the roadie take a song and the female band member do some audience spanking

3. The Hoodoo Gurus - Brixton Academy (London), 1986

- brilliant aussie rock IMHO, happy memories of busking in tube on way to a party with strangers after the show adds to the aura of exuberence

4. P.J. Harvey Shepherds Hill (London), 2001 (I think)

- she just played her songs but her songs are good

5. Rebel The Tunnels (Aberdeen), 2006

- a new dissonant two piece from Camden that sounds more like Capt Beefheart than The White Stripes, but I continue to enjoy the much played CD I got at the gig... also liked The Long Blondes who headed the bill.

Impressed by your fine Shetland taste in music displayed in previous posts :D

In no particular order

David Byrne Usher Hall edinburgh

Horace Andy Liquid Room Edinburgh

John Martyn Lemon Tree Abderdeen

The Flaming Lips Usher Hall Edinburgh

Shooglenifty/Edward II Lemon Tree Aberdeen

James Barrowland Glasgow

Taj Mahal Usher Hall Edinburgh

Oops two too many oh well never mind