Winter Driving

It can be difficult to vary a route, especially with a plough attached, though, it will be easier for the police to deal with as they would just impose a fine. Still, it could be that a part of the route does not get treated.

In built up areas, we letter drop folk to remind them they are on a route and we drive it 3 or four times before to see if there are any new problems.

Generally, folk are OK.

We have had little "gang" related problems, the worst really is snowballs, these can take you by surprise as I will drive with both windows fully open so as to hear the grit when it strikes objects, it means I can adjust the spread which saves salt and therefore money.

The Mercedes truck I had last was about 30 tonnes, 6 leg, with 10 wheels and over 450 BHP. It can lead to an exciting drive sometimes. Especially as you have to plough at 20 - 30 mph for best effect. Tend to use the horn allot to warn pedestrians. The snow can be sent over 30' away, slush, even further.

We still get those who play "chicken" with us, they really need to keep in mind that we weigh up to 30 tonnes, have a plate on the front bolted to chassis and the driver is 6' off the ground.

cargton I am da sure you are awaar o dis but I would go order dee winter tyres noo. We hivna had a decent winter for  few year. But having worked in a tyre fitting business as soon as a fliss o snaw falls da tyres disappear. Den da unprepared pleeps.If du pits dem under dee oxter noo du can fit dem later. I love drivin in da snaa