edinburgh festival

Aye. Saw Dylan Moran last night at the Usher Hall. Excellent show. Got Bill Bailey, Doug Stanhope and a Soma Records night at Cabaret Voltaire next week.

was dylan good? my lass was at it last night, so I'd love to ruin any of the jokes she'll no doubt try and pass on to me!

Aye. Saw Dylan Moran last night at the Usher Hall. Excellent show. Got Bill Bailey, Doug Stanhope and a Soma Records night at Cabaret Voltaire next week.

I am going to Bill Bailey and the Soma night aswell!! Cant wait for the soma night its going to be packed (hopefully!) :D :D

Not been to anything yet but I have heard the fireworks everynight from my flat (does that count?) :)

I do find the tickets a bit pricey but maybe that coz I am a bit skint at the moment!

was dylan good? my lass was at it last night, so I'd love to ruin any of the jokes she'll no doubt try and pass on to me!

Dylan was fantastic on Tuesday, but he seemed to be struggling with the smoking ban a bit. Took out his frustrations on a bowl of fruit. Also feel a bit sorry for the lass down the front who tried to take some pictures on her camera phone and was on the receiving end of a rant about wasting time recording our lives and letting things pass you by rather than actually having experiences and enjoying yourself. Show was mostly about nationalism and the nature of relationships, although he avoided the temptation to do his 'Irish Hair' bit. Don't know if your lass will try to make the point to you that men think of breasts in the same way that women think of babies though.

Cant wait for the soma night its going to be packed (hopefully!)

Soma night's still over a week away, but I'm grinning already! Should be a stormer! :D

Dylan was fantastic on Tuesday, but he seemed to be struggling with the smoking ban a bit. Took out his frustrations on a bowl of fruit. Also feel a bit sorry for the lass down the front who tried to take some pictures on her camera phone and was on the receiving end of a rant about wasting time recording our lives and letting things pass you by rather than actually having experiences and enjoying yourself. Show was mostly about nationalism and the nature of relationships, although he avoided the temptation to do his 'Irish Hair' bit. Don't know if your lass will try to make the point to you that men think of breasts in the same way that women think of babies though.

He did something similar in Aberdeen with a bowl of fruit/sweeties. He was randomly throwing them into the audience and then one woman in the front row complained that she didn't get any, so he threw stuff at her for about 2 minutes.

Saw Bill Bailey last night and he was brilliant!!

Lots of funny looks and excellant jokes and of course lots of genius music!!

Won't give too much of his act away as you really need to see it for yourself!!

Rock on Bill!!!!

:D :D :D

No I had'nt seen BB before, he did jokes about Americans, George Bush and LA mostly but there was a lot of other jokes put in like about Lord of the rings and being reckonised by people.

He did a lot of music aswell i.e keyboard, guitar.

He had a huge screen behind him which he made famous people sing along to Soft Cell, that was hilarious!!

Go again there is no harm!!

Enjoy! :D :D :D

I saw Bill Bailey a couple of years back and the current show is very similar. It's still really funny and well observed and he's obviously a very talented musician and performer, but he still covers a lot of the same ideas that he used to. He's found himself a particular niche and he works it very well, but sometimes you wish he'd try and extend it a bit more. There's enough difference in the shows to certainly justify going to see him again, but I found myself wishing at times that he'd take some ideas a bit further, rather than falling back on some of his older material. If you've seen him before and you're caught in a decision whether to do Bill Bailey again or see someone else that interests you, I'd recommend trying something else purely for the sense of change and variety.

On that note, I saw Doug Stanhope the other night in one of the worst Fringe venues I've ever been in (George Square Theatre - It's basically an adapted Edinburgh University Lecture Hall and not really suited to comedy or any form of social interaction whatsoever). Having said that. he was fantastic when I saw him, but he's very hit and miss and, as I say, the venue isn't really suited to comedy at all. Even if he only appeals to a minimal number of Americans, I hope he goes through with his plan to stand for election in 2008. If nothing else, at least he'd brighten up the debates. Do you vote for the Republicans and their latest GW Bush-a-like with the common goal to "liberate" oil reserves throughout the world in support of the greater good or do you go for Hilary Clinton (seeking a third term) and the slightly less right wing Democrats? Will you consider Ralph Nader and his environmentalists as anything more than a protest vote, or will you vote for Doug: a man who is outspoken against all religions; is unafraid to speak his mind on any issue whatsoever; doesn't believe in marriage and is pro-hallucinegens and would rather listen to someone confessing their multitude of depraved sins involving their own relatives/pets, rather than hear people reminding their peers how pious and virtuous and therfore worthy they've been in their lives to date. If I had a vote, I'd be backing Doug in 2008.