orkneybands.com

Matthias

I hope people don't get too annoyed at me for this, but I wanted to let you know about............ .

No worries Matthias. Nice site, great to hear what's going on in Orkney.

I saw the review of The Bees in the NME. Sounds like a good night was had by all.

Cheers

Marvin

Thanks Hambone, just had a listen to your podcast 2 and am very impressed. We'd like to do and Orkneybands podcast soon, just don't want to try and add too much to the site at once until people get used to it.

It's a pity that there isn't more mixing of Orkney & Shetland artists. A regular 'swap' night where an Orkney band came up and played with a Shetland band, and then they came down and played here the next month could work well, but as with all things, would probably take time to build up support. Has anything like this been tried before?

Thanks for the info Jono - could you send me his email address?

I suppose really it would all come down to funding. If we could get Northlink to provide the transport (the bands could even play a tune in the bar crossing-permitting) and found a few people willing to host a guest at each end then that would be most of the costs covered, and the door could go to band / sound crew.

On the other hand, the arts council and lottery and the like love a bit of the old 'cultural exchange' so it might be an avenue to pursue once some of the other pieces of the puzzle are in place.

Alan has put bands on in Orkney on their way up here (The Darkest, Jackson & Cassidy, AB/CD etc.) and he has also (many years ago) put on Revolver and Suppository Business in the Marts in Kirkwall.

The problem these days (if memory serves me correctly) is that Northlink sailings don't fit too well. When Revolver and Suppository Business went down the ferry timetable meant that you could leave here at noon on the Friday, get to Kirkwall in time for a night on the town and then do the gig on the Saturday night and then be back in Shetland for about 9pm on the Sunday night.

If it were to happen now bands could still do it but the bands would only catch last orders on the Friday night and it would be an overnight ferry on the Sunday on the way back.

For Orkney bands it would mean leaving on the Thursday and not getting back untill Tuesday morning, even then that would only be possible in the summer months.

A band exchange sounds like a great idea.

Playing in Orkney was among the best gigs I've ever done. The place was jumping, the atmosphere was electric and the parties afterward fantastic :wink:. To anyone thinking of playing in Orkney, I can't recommend it highly enough.

--

BigMick

There was talk a while back about a "music inter-county" between Orkney and Shetland featuring both bands and DJ's.

Unfortunately it never came to fruition, but i'm sure it could be a great success if it was to go ahead.

I think its very possible and a very good idea. It would unite the music scene totally, as there would be promoters working with bands, and bands working with other bands.

Maybe it would be set to take off in Summer 2007? If the ball got rolling now, bands who play covers could perhaps start writing their own songs, and so on. I know that Rage Against The Washing Machine have started/jammed a few of guitarist Brian's material which sounds fantastic. Plus, Shetland unknowns Little Green Machine could play, and perhaps we'd see a comeback of The Wise Monkeys? :wink:

Thanks to everyone who has expressed an interest / provided information, it's very encouraging to get such a positive response. I've been taking advice at this end as well and a few of us are going to form write a constitution, start a bank account etc so that it's all in place for when we get to the stage of seeking funding and sponsors for the events. We'll also create some kind of passworded forum and send out invites to organisers/ bands etc.