New Northmavine Community Website

Fifi

New Northmavine community website just launched - http://www.northmavine.com

It's not a comprehensive website on Northmavine by any means, but it's a start! Feel free to pop into the forum, wherever you are. :) I've already mentioned the Shetlink forum to a person south who has posted on the Northmavine forum. He's been here on holiday a couple of times, has fallen in love with the place and wants to keep in touch.

New Northmavine community website just launched - http://www.northmavine.com

It's not a comprehensive website on Northmavine by any means, but it's a start! Feel free to pop into the forum, wherever you are. :) I've already mentioned the Shetlink forum to a person south who has posted on the Northmavine forum. He's been here on holiday a couple of times, has fallen in love with the place and wants to keep in touch.

looks realy good is there a link from visit shetland onto it?

looks realy good is there a link from visit shetland onto it?

Thanks Sam. Yes, I see from Willy Jumblat's post that there is now a link to the Northmavine site at the bottom of the Visit Shetland page that he mentions. :) Some people are already starting to put links to us on their website which is fantastic, and when I get a round tuit soon I'll contact folks on our links pages and ask them nicely if they would be so good as to give us a reciprocal link. :)

It's early days as it was only launched on Saturday but there have already been over 400 hits since late Monday night and there have been visits from all over the world.

Edit: Should have mentioned that I've seen that folk have been on this forum then visited our site, so thanks! :)

Hey Fifi. A quick way to get a few visitors heading your way and boost your search engine ranking (the Holy Grail!) is to put the Northmavine site link into your account profile. That way, every post you make the link will appear. Google likes that kind of thing!

EDIT: well done with the site by the way

Nice site Fifi, by the way, i thought i'd said that before now, but just realised that i hadn't. I like the random picture on refresh/revisit idea for the front page, enduring interest even for locals! :wink: Good photos too. Proper job*! (*with a devonshire accent)

Hey Fifi. A quick way to get a few visitors heading your way and boost your search engine ranking (the Holy Grail!) is to put the Northmavine site link into your account profile. That way, every post you make the link will appear. Google likes that kind of thing!

EDIT: well done with the site by the way

Thank you very much. :oops: Thanks for the tip! Of course! Forgot all about publicising it via my profile.. Yes, the black art of search engine optimisation! :) Edit: Any tips welcome! You guys are the dog's doodahs! :) Trying putting a bit in my sig - or is that over-kill...?

Nice site Fifi, by the way, i thought i'd said that before now, but just realised that i hadn't. I like the random picture on refresh/revisit idea for the front page, enduring interest even for locals! :wink: Good photos too. Proper job*! (*with a devonshire accent)

Thanks, Njugle. More photos coming in by the minute.. so more will be going up and content will be getting added in time.

Nice site, Fifi; Well laid out and easy to navigate; attractive pictures. I too like the random refresh picture on the home page. Good work!! :P

Why, thank ya kindly. :)

The forum idea was mooted very early on in the planning. I was sceptical, I have to say, but thought there was no harm in giving it a try. Why sceptical? I just didn't know if there would be enough people willing to hit the 'submit' button to say something and enough people willing to reply. Conversation is a two-way street.

We have a very enthusiastic 'young gun' involved now but his impatience over lack of participation in the forum is already showing a touch. ;) As I say, I was sceptical from the start, but happily proved wrong with the initial response to the forum. It has only been going just over a week. So very much early days yet. A forum could take a while to get established and some people may only get around to taking a look or posting in the winter months. But it remains to see how it will go in the future - it does require community involvement as well as those outwith the area. I do hope I am proved wrong in a big way. :)

It was also mentioned to me that some people might find a forum daunting and might not be sure of what to do, so I might add a bit of a guide. It's probably just one of those things, that if you've never done it, it can look daunting, but once you've jumped in - then it's not that difficult really. :) I'm aware of there being too much of me at the moment in the forum, but hopefully in time as more people post, I'll be happily diluted. :) It's just a case of trying to get it going and we're trying to welcome and encourage posters.

The hits for the website are showing a wide geographical viewing audience - across the globe, which is great, but, as our young gun does touch on a bit in the forum, there are probably more visitors at the moment from outwith Shetland than locals. He mentions how some locals didn't/don't know about the site. While I find it hard to believe, as it's been mentioned in various Initiative at the Edge newsletters , Shetland Times, Shetland News, Radio Shetland and the Press & Journal as well as posters in shops, we perhaps still need to advertise it more blatantly locally.

We hope content will be developed and added to but, as with any community project, getting community participation is not an easy task... We hope to add content which will be change and be current and which will bring locals in to look and hopefully find it a useful resource. For example, a 'What's On' feature was planned from the start but the person doing it never quite got round to doing it , so it was one of the items put on the back burner for future inclusion.

impatience...? *bemused look* Impatience...? My god it takes so long to type a reply... see, i'm still typing, still writing it.

*clicks submit*... "COME ON... load up, load up, load up, load up, load up, load up, load up..." *fingers tapping furiously* load up, load up, load up,". "Why don't we have broadband yet... this takes forever, i want broadband, i want broadband now" *fingers continue to tap into grooves on desk*. "Wow... those grooves fit the tips of my fingers perfectly... whats the chances of that?"

me impatient? well not that i've noticed... :wink:

david