Steve Irwin

Tomblands

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me his greatest gift was his enthusiasm. He never failed to convey how much he enjoyed his 'work'.

You might not approve of his methods but he certainly managed to stick in your memory, and his antics were the subject of many discussions.

We'll miss him on tv, but his family will miss him more.

Saw a clip on the tv news last night that for me summed up what was wrong with the guy. Holding a bit of food at arms length in front of a croc to persuade it to leap upwards might be ok but to be holding a baby in his other arm while doing it is not.

Why?

:? Ummmm....cos it's recklessly endangering the baby maybe.

I'm not getting involved in the general discussion of wether Steve was a maniac or not, but the baby incident was mental.

Saw a clip on the tv news last night that for me summed up what was wrong with the guy. Holding a bit of food at arms length in front of a croc to persuade it to leap upwards might be ok but to be holding a baby in his other arm while doing it is not.

I didn't see the clip, but saw frame grabs from it posted in online News last night, and thought much the same thing. Michael Jackson was cruicified for dangling a baby over a balcony, to encourage a carnivorous wild animal, and a potential killer, to perform tricks using food in one of your hands as an incentive, while holding your 1 month old baby in the other hand, seems little different to me. I don't think most people would feel comfortable doing that with even the most docile family pet dog or cat.

Even though I found his methods dubious, you couldn't but help be sucked in by his all engulfing enthusiasm, and admire the guy for the "cause" he was promoting, as like them of not, his methods worked. It's a shame he didn't have a bit longer to do his job. RIP Steve Irwin.

Why?

:? Ummmm....cos it's recklessly endangering the baby maybe.

I'm not getting involved in the general discussion of wether Steve was a maniac or not, but the baby incident was mental.

He knew what he was doing, he was an expert, and he proved it so as the baby was unharmed.

Quote from the BBC news website
No funeral arrangements have been announced yet, but Queensland State Premier Peter Beattie said Mr Irwin would be given a state funeral if his family approved.

Ok so he was popular but a State Funeral?.

Whats the popularity cut-off age for state funerals in your opinion?

I would say he was equally as known as Michael Hutcheson, a fellow aussie who had a state funeral (I'm sure he did, correct me if i'm wrong).