(Anti)Social Media

Colin

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/newsbites/13870-soft-play-plans-pulled

Seems that plans for what might have been a good business idea have been pulled because some "keyboard warriors" tried to dictate an "agenda".

Don't subscribe to any of them myself but,

Questions;

Is to much emphasis placed on "opinions" voiced on "Social Media" sites?

Do these sites have "leaders" whose opinions are slavishly followed by others?

Just why do people think that they have to get 100% support on Social Media before they will commit to anything?

Its the internet, the equivalent of a rowdy corner of a dodgy pub on a weekend night. What folk say and do on it is invariably different to how they operate in the "real" world.

a) Probably yes. Common sense dictates they're not going to be representative, nor is there any way to verify the sincerity of the opinions expressed. As a source of food for thought/ideas, perhaps, but making dealbreaker decisions, not so much.

b ) Yes and no in my experience. Its a case by case basis and depends on who expresses what opinion loudest and gets the most of their mates to echo it. You're never able to predict which way any one given "discussion" will head, only that one "opinion" will evolve in to a braying mob willing to say whatever it takes to run any and all other opinions off the thread, or at least silence them. It is mob rule, pure and simple.

c) Dunno. "You can't please all of the people all of the time" - (but pissing them off is a piece of cake), applies perhaps even more so on da webs than anywhere else.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/newsbites/13870-soft-play-plans-pulled

Seems that plans for what might have been a good business idea have been pulled because some "keyboard warriors" tried to dictate an "agenda".

Don't subscribe to any of them myself but,

Umm....Colin, Shetlink is "social media". Was it your evil twin impersonating you that created an account and posted this ;-)

....and with that said. Seeing as behaviour on social media is up for discussion on social media, now that I've expressed an "opinion" lets see where the "mob" takes this thread as an experiment in introspection, to prove (or not) my points.

Nice headfu*k for a Friday morning. :razz:

• 2 months later...