LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL AND TRANSGENDER CONFERENCE

Twerto

Having been on the Unison Exec in Shetland I can say that the reason why spaces are unlimted to any LGBT group event is because they are what is called a self organised group.

They have their own funds seperate from Unison's general coffers and so costs are paid from here.

Let's assume I'm not L,G,B or T and I am a member of UNISON.

Are you saying that none of my monthly UNISON fee is going towards the expenses of those who are attending this conference ?

I have never been asked if I wish to contribute to the LGBT coffers or not.

Where do they get the money from ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the difference.

If say, 10 Shetland UNISON members asked to attend the UNISON AGM I am sure only 2 or 3 (secretaries and chairman) would have their expenses paid.

If say, 10 Shetland LBG or T UNISON members asked to attend this conference all would have their expenses paid.

But, Mag you knew that already ! :wink:

Of course! But if 10 Shetland UNISON members ask to attend this conference I'll eat my best hat! :wink: That's why it's no big deal that there's no limit on number of delegates getting expenses. It probably is a pity that UNISON have offered apparently limitless expenses if it gives an excuse for negativity about the conference.

It doesn't matter how many ask to attend, it's the principle.

But, Mag, you knew that as well ! :wink:

Is it really that much of a concern that a few coppers of your membership fee is going towards a minority group who regularly face undue prejudice in the workplace? If indeed it actually is (I'm not sure of the facts).

I'm more pissed off that large parts of my taxes to the government are being spent on things that disgust me, e.g. war.

Your trade union will back you to the hilt if necessary in any industrial dispute regardless of whether they pay these expenses to the LGBT or not.

Is it really that much of a concern that a few coppers of your membership fee is going towards a minority group who regularly face undue prejudice in the workplace?

I'm more pissed off that large parts of my taxes to the government are being spent on things that disgust me, e.g. war.

What would you think if the minority groups you refer to were asked to pay the government less taxes than others ?

Not entirely sure what you mean? Minority groups like LGBT? Billionaires? Sorry for my confusion, but the point I was making is that there is a bigger picture. If my union pay the expenses of a minority group, it really wouldn't even raise an eyebrow for me. My union is excellent, and backs all of its members really well in my opinion.

Not entirely sure what you mean? Minority groups like LGBT? Billionaires? Sorry for my confusion, but the point I was making is that there is a bigger picture. If my union pay the expenses of a minority group, it really wouldn't even raise an eyebrow for me. My union is excellent, and backs all of its members really well in my opinion.

It was the minority groups you referred to in your previous post I meant, and I'm sure you knew it wasn't billionaires. :wink:

You don't have a problem if the union pays their expenses, that's fine.

But say they asked you for another £20 a month to cover it, or is it just because, as you put it, 'it's only a few coppers' that you don't mind ?

I am neither LGBT, nor for that matter a member of Unison.

I would however consider joining to go on free trips like that, if they went somewhere more exotic than Glasgow.

Maybe Miami? Or Amsterdam? The Carribean?

Remember. Never turn down a free trip!

Talking of which, maybe I should just stand for the cooncil at the next election? Then I'd get all the free trips I could stand, maybe a couple of lucrative directorships AND get paid for it too! 8O

I am neither LGBT, nor for that matter a member of Unison.

I would however consider joining to go on free trips like that, if they went somewhere more exotic than Glasgow.

Maybe Miami? Or Amsterdam? The Carribean?

Remember. Never turn down a free trip!

Talking of which, maybe I should just stand for the cooncil at the next election? Then I'd get all the free trips I could stand, maybe a couple of lucrative directorships AND get paid for it too! 8O

:lol: :lol: Nice one, north.

What would happen if, just for the hell of it, 100 Shetland UNISON members self declared to be LBGT and asked to go on this trip to Glasgow !!! I wonder if it fits in with a Celtic Champions League match ? :wink: