Metal Bashing

HacksawDuggan

Why is it that the only type of music that young people in shetland seem to be able to produce is metal? And usually hardcore/death/bad metal at that. An occasional side smattering of punk (which was always rubbish anyway, and that's before the likes of greenday and blink182) seems to be the only other thing people bother with.

More recently there have been a few forages into dreary indie singer/songwriter territory, which is always the hardest thing to impress with anyway. It doesn't matter how good your badly written songs are - if you haven't got an exceptional voice, and you haven't, then don't.

And so, on to the pointy end of the quivering sabre that is my tale...

Where has all the fun gone in music? I want to see something different, jazz quartets, seven piece funk bands, 3...no wait...5 part harmonies! And I want Soul. I want FEELING. I want Rythm AND Blues. I want to see a Hammond organ being carted up the stairs to flints.

And it shall be, because Hacksaw demands it...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your pain Hacksaw, Shetland probably could do with an injection of sweet soul, funk and jazz.

But surely the ideal would be a wide and varied scene with a place for metal, punk and post apocalyptic ambient pink noise. Each to his own and all that.

I feel I must take issue with

punk (which was always rubbish anyway....

Not so sir, the Clash were one of the mightiest bands ever to take to the stage or press a record.

Where has all the fun gone in music? I want to see something different, jazz quartets, seven piece funk bands, 3...no wait...5 part harmonies! And I want Soul. I want FEELING. I want Rythm AND Blues. I want to see a Hammond organ being carted up the stairs to flints.

Well said Hacksaw. Couldn't agree more.

I've never understood why anybody would want to listen to someone else singing (or usually just shouting) about how misunderstood they are, or about how no one can understand their pain.

In my opinion, live music should be about enjoyment.

In my opinion, live music should be about enjoyment.

One man's meat is another man's poison.

Some people probably enjoy having their ear drums imploded by metal drummers, or getting drunk and empathising with dreary, miserablist indie types.

God knows it worked for the Smiths!

My only thought as to the prevalence of metal and punk bands in Shetland is that the country hall scene that is sadly now diminishing lent itself well to that type of music.

As it has been the general feeling on this forum so far, I say to thee Hacksaw, why not go out there and do something with music that you want to hear in gigs?

As it has been the general feeling on this forum so far, I say to thee Hacksaw, why not go out there and do something with music that you want to hear in gigs?

And I probably shall once i'm more permanently based in Shetland again. Though this brings up the task of finding enough like-minded AND capable musicians, as I certainly don't know enough from where I sit just now. Having said that, I can see that this site could be a great way of bringing stray musicians together if it continues growing like it has. I suppose there might be a slightly disproportionate number of musicians here at the moment though, seeing as the membership is still relatively small and cliquey.

Guest Anonymous
Other than Ten Tonne Dozer, is there actually any other metal bands on the island? Because i sure as hell havn`t heard any.

My thoughts exactly. The young Shetland bands tend to play pop-punk in my experience - the young Shetland metal band is quite rare. Most recently I can recall Ten Tonne Dozer, Bitumen River (although they lean in the grunge area), Moder Dy and possibly Double Zero. I can't think of any others and if you ask me they are/were all some of the better acts out there. Oh yeah and there was Shoot The Messenger/Cyanide but I can't speak on the behalf of them because I'm obviously biased :P

Also, way to big up the stereotypes; yes, I'm sure every one of those metal bands were singing about their teenage anguish :roll: Take a look at Bitumen River for example - the lyrics they produce tend to have a very mature theme and deal with, in my opinion, extremely interesting subject matter.

And as for wanting talent? Personally I believe the bands I've listed (the only Shetland metal acts that I can think of) are EXTREMELY talented. Just because it's not your favourite type of music doesn't mean it doesn't require talent.

If you don't like it, stop bitching, don't go see the bands, go see things you'd like to see and if you can't find anything you'd like then learn an instrument and form your own band.

Rant over.

Guest Anonymous

Just realised you intend to do as I suggested: make the music you want to hear.

Good for you, I respect that and I hope you find some like-minded musicians; I'm sure you will as there are plenty around, especially in such a musically active place like Shetland.

Other than Ten Tonne Dozer, is there actually any other metal bands on the island? Because i sure as hell havn`t heard any.

My thoughts exactly. The young Shetland bands tend to play pop-punk in my experience - the young Shetland metal band is quite rare. Most recently I can recall Ten Tonne Dozer, Bitumen River (although they lean in the grunge area), Moder Dy and possibly Double Zero. I can't think of any others and if you ask me they are/were all some of the better acts out there. Oh yeah and there was Shoot The Messenger/Cyanide but I can't speak on the behalf of them because I'm obviously biased :P

Also, way to big up the stereotypes; yes, I'm sure every one of those metal bands were singing about their teenage anguish :roll: Take a look at Bitumen River for example - the lyrics they produce tend to have a very mature theme and deal with, in my opinion, extremely interesting subject matter.

And as for wanting talent? Personally I believe the bands I've listed (the only Shetland metal acts that I can think of) are EXTREMELY talented. Just because it's not your favourite type of music doesn't mean it doesn't require talent.

If you don't like it, stop bitching, don't go see the bands, go see things you'd like to see and if you can't find anything you'd like then learn an instrument and form your own band.

Rant over.

Some very good points there Lisa, also cheers for the praise.

now onto Hacksawduggan .. (I used to love that Wrestler!, "oh my god he's got the 2 by 4!"

Firstly, I've never heard of a genre called "bad metal" :lol: and don't think I've heard Hardcore metal (if it actually exists) and definatly not death metal in Shetland.

I'm not sure whether you're suggesting the metal bands stop playing in Shetland or all the other musicians (who don't play metal and aren't already in bands) get off their arses and do something. I would suggest the latter!.

Now on to the last point you made, especially the "I want FEELING" demand, have you been to a Bitumen River or Shrapnel gig in the last year or 2? if not I suggest you do and then tell me there's no "FEELING" maybe I've interpreted that wrong, I dont know?.

To sum it up, I'm all for having a broad range of musical genre's in Shetland but you don't see us metal fans publicly slagging other genre's (well i certainly don't). Surely the common goal is to improve the the Shetland music scene and my opinion is that encouragement would be far more productive than criticism. Also at the moment if it wasn't for Bitumen River,Ten Tonne Dozer,Shrapnel,Bacchus (punk) the only gigs to go to would be seeing young bands (who are mostly very good ie Hidden Agenda and The Juvenile Delinquents) in halls or the occasional and of course highly entertaining Jamieson's Big Pockets gig. Maybe I've missed some band out or, and more imprtantly maybe I'm speaking hellary... let me know