Tall Ships Race

Muppet

Tall Ships back in 2010?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Tall Ships back in 2010?

• Drop anchor and bring 'em on in!
    • Hoist the Jolly Rodger and give 'em a broadside! Send them packing

Do you want to see the Tall Ships back here in 2010?

Seems like it will cost more to bring them here and now according to SIBC some 'small businesses' want compensation for the loss of trade!

Cant say I understand that one. The place was buzzing for the duration last time. Anyone selling anything from a bed to a burger could hardly keep up. They'd lose a lot more trade if everyone piled out to Aberdeen or somewhere to see them.

Personally I cant wait.

Bring 'em on!!!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only what I can recall of todays news bulletins.

It said some 'small businesses in and around Lerwick wanted to seek compensation for lost trade as happened last time' It also said 'only if audited accounts showed a loss of business'

Probably not word perfect, but pretty close if my memory serves me right.

No details of who the 'small businesses' were or who the statement had come from. No details either of who they expected the compensation to come from.

I really cant think of anyone who would actually lose business because of it (well I suppose the LPA gave up most of their harbour and the car park, but dont think they were complaining). Maybe there are some but they must be in a minority to those who gained from probably the biggest influx of people and the biggest party atmosphere ever seen in Shetland.

My memory is totally shot, so best not quote me, but I seem to vaguely recall something about caterers or the likes, complaining at the time that they'd been passed over for ones from the mainland. Or was that for some other event?....Told you my memory was shot. :oops:

Either way, that could hardly be described as "lost" trade anyway, more a case of being denied extra trade. Beyond that I cannot imagine which businesses actually lost income becasue of the event, some no doubt didn't gain from it, but that's life.

My memory is totally shot, so best not quote me, but I seem to vaguely recall something about caterers or the likes, complaining at the time that they'd been passed over for ones from the mainland.

Your quite right, there was a caterer brought up from south much to the displeasure of some. Cant really remember, but I think the bars may have been run by south company's too, I wouldnt argue with anyone who said it should be done locally this time, as long as we're not subjected to 'mutton burgers' like we got at the Island games! Urgh!!!!

But for all that, I dont think either the food or drink sellers locally had to shut early for lack of trade. The whole town seemed to be alive from start to finish.

I didnt live here when it was held here least time. But I remember folk saying it was brilliant.

It was amazing! I was 19 at the time have fond memories of the whole town buzzing with excitement.

Glasgow nightclub The Garage set up a marquee behind the coop and the town was heaving with revellers - many of them attractive foreign girls as I recall, although maybe that's me looking at the past through the rose-tinted spectacles of nostalgia :lol:

The harbour looked fantastic and the weather was sunny almost the whole time.

I really can’t see how businesses can claim to have suffered from it – I would have thought quite the opposite would have been the case sdue to the influx of tourists following the event.

Shetland should definitely go for it again.

Glasgow nightclub The Garage set up a marquee behind the coop and the town was heaving with revellers

The bouncer monkeys they had on the door didn't seem to realise they we're in Glasgow anymore. They went completely over the score a couple of times and caused far more trouble than they stopped. The Glasgow Garage is one of the worst clubs I've ever been to for rude and aggresive bouncers. I hope they don't come back

I was informed by the manager of a certain waterfront bar that he had told his staff to make sure the visitors were served before the locals. Me and a friend got so hacked of in Lerik that we jamp on the North boat for a weekend in Aberdeen.

But most people seemed to have enjoyed it..................

Me thinks this is a poisoned chalice we are being offered.....if indeed there is an offer. Why when there are so many possible ports would we get another chance so soon?. I am also worried that the perception of the last event is very much heightened by the great weather. Just think what we would remember if the weather was like todays.

Me thinks this is a poisoned chalice we are being offered.....if indeed there is an offer. Why when there are so many possible ports would we get another chance so soon?. I am also worried that the perception of the last event is very much heightened by the great weather. Just think what we would remember if the weather was like todays.

Not sure that 'offered' is the right word. As far as I know the area the race is being held gets decided, then it's up to Ports in that area to make a bid to host it. The succesful Ports will be the ones which can show they can host it and fit in with 3 others to make an acceptable race route. It will be 11 years apart if it does come here. I'm sure Aberdeen hosted it twice in a shorter space of time.

You could well be right about the weather, but then if we didnt do anything in case the weather was going to be bad, then we'd have very boring lives!!!

As we say: There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes :wink:

I'm sure the yachty types will be well equipped,

And if the tallest ships looked good in flat calm sunny seas, just think how good they'd look in 20 ft swells! Awesome. Not something often seen.

I personally think that it would be great to bring back The Tall Ships. As far as being and event is concerned, and in terms of its atmosphere, it completely blew the Island Games away.

Whilst the island games I am sure can be termed 'a success', I don't think that it was as good for the 'whole' community as what The Tall Ships was. The island games was arguably for 'the few' whilst The Tall Ships was for everyone, and this was proven by the atmosphere.

The bouncer monkeys theyhad on the door didn't seem to realise they we're in Glasgow anymore. They went completely over the score a couple of times and caused far more trouble than they stopped. The Glasgow Garage is one of the worst clubs I've ever been to for rude and aggresive bouncers.

The garage is a pretty awful venue in Glasgow I'll admit, the bouncers being the primary reason. I once witnessed them turn away a couple of Asian lads, claiming it was "regulars only", before letting me and my mates in even though we'd only ever been to the place about twice in our whole lives.

Having said that, my hazy recollection of the tall ships race is one of beautiful weather, a great atmosphere and the town bustling with happy, enthusiastic people.

I could have just been the drugs…