The Library saga

north

So, now the library is not deemed a safety hazard and it can return to it's rightful location, who is going to carry the can for this one?

I would love to examine the report that deemed this building unsafe, and also the reports and actions that have now deemed it to be OK again.

What has been done to correct all these prior deficiencies? What names and agendas are attached to this costly fiasco. I have no issue with the building of the new museum, but surely the best option for the library was the expansion into the full facility on the Hillhead?

The Library system in Shetland is excellent, surely it would be better served by spending its funds on books rather than the obtuse, circular cycle of the whims of the council.

So, now the library is not deemed a safety hazard and it can return to it's rightful location, who is going to carry the can for this one?

I'm going to stick my neck out here, and predict that, as per usual, the SIC will close ranks, and nobody will be punished.

It is better, though, that they could admit that the old library was the best building for the purpose. It would compound the error if they we had to fork up money for an expensive new building just to justify the original report condeming the old one.

St Ringans Library

It doesn’t take a degree in Maths to work out that size of books + number of books = space required in library!! Whoever thought that St Ringans would make a suitably sized library for what was required should not be held accountable for wasting public money. Highly qualified people could not get right what anyone with a half a bit of common sense would have seen for from the start. The library was too small!

Could it be that that the Council just had its heart set on St Ringans from the very start. Another little ‘pet project’. Another little opportunity for the Council to buy up another building? I wonder who’s ‘little baby’ it was? Whoever it was should again be held accountable for the complete an utter lack of foresight. Perhaps the forthcoming elections might be a start.

Could it be that the Council has their eyes on this building for the own debating/meeting chamber? Watch this space.

More public money wasted!

Just wait until they move back into the upgraded old library (at whatever cost that might end up being) and then condemn it again! It is bound to happen, then they will upgrade St Ringan's again at further cost while a decision is made on what to do before building a brand new library and putting the current projects on hold (High School, Bowling Alley, Brain Transplants, etc ,etc).