Having Your Shopping Delivered

BigMouth

I heard today that the Co-op once had a scheme where they delivered your shopping. They don't any more.

What happened and why?

Simple economics.........not enough people within the delivery area to make it worthwhile coupled with the fact that the service was mainly used by customers who would otherwise have used a taxi to get their shopping home.

Just for the sake of clarity it was only a delivery service for shopping after you had trudged around the store deciding what to buy and then queued up at the checkout to pay. Not to be confused with the on-line shopping available on the UK mainland.

Just for the sake of clarity it was only a delivery service for shopping after you had trudged around the store deciding what to buy and then queued up at the checkout to pay. Not to be confused with the on-line shopping available on the UK mainland.

An exercise in futility then :cry:

It's a shame as I loathe trips to the supermarket and would happily pay the fiver extra that they used to charge for the picking and delivering of the goods south, but I can understand the lack of a target audience/competition arguements that you and Crofter have mentioned.

We've used the ASDA delivery service from time to time, but's never been as wonderful as you would hope.

It's very annoying when you're looking forward to that pie you ordered and then they turn up and they don't have it for whatever reason.

Also they substitute things from time to time. Most of the time you can live with it, but one time they came with battery eggs rather than free-range. Being the heartless individual that I am I wasn't too bothered, but the lady of the house was horrified and vowed never to use the service again.

Since I spend about seven months of the year in Glasvegas (yay :roll:) I have a couple of flatmates who've experienced home delivery from Tesco. One flatmate ordered from them but the order never came. She decided not to be put off and ordered again but they were about half an hour late.

Wonder what it would be like up here...:?

Jonners - You should have had the decency to cross battery out with a felt tip

I wish I had Bigmouth - unfortunately she noticed before I did.

There's so much to hate about going to the supermarket - struggling through swarms of people, duelling with other motorists for a parking space, struggling with the trolley which invariably has a wonky wheel.

Could have sent the eggs to me, I prefer battery to free range!

I hate the supermarket too. And I'm the sort of person that rather than buy a big shop at once, I go on a day by day basis which means I get to experience the delights of it every day.

Hello from Berneray, an island in the Outer Hebrides.

I've got a posting on my blog about how we shop and where we get some of our stuff from, here:

http://www.silversprite.com/?p=271

(later in the week, will do a posting about our Tesco online grocery shops which now come here)

Am interested particularly in how residents of Scottish islands do their online shopping, and deliveries. Trying to get a handle on what the options are for residents of Shetlands who don't drive (or don't want to drive) - how do you get your groceries?

I think i can safely say if you don't have a car it is a royal pain in the ass to get your shopping home.

either on the bus with very limited storage space unlike the old coaches that had loads of space if everyone was to bring some shopping/luggage with them. or taxi which could easily add another £20 - £40 to your shopping bill if you don't live in town.

.....snip.........Trying to get a handle on what the options are for residents of Shetlands who don't drive (or don't want to drive) - how do you get your groceries?

A rucksack full of shopping and a walk home. I used to do it daily, but now go 3 or 4 times a week.

It's cheaper than gym membership :wink: