Orkney's Bowling Alley

trout

Even if every person with an intrest in bowling went twice a week that is not enough out of a population of 20,000.

Sorry if my first post is a peerie bit off topic....but couldn't this logic be applied to the cinema & music venue

A peerie bit o advice Max. Da pro-CMV lobby irna interested in logic. Dey still think food and drink will tak in £10k each and every week o da year :roll:

The admission charge at the Kirkwall alley was in the order of £20. At that sort of rate a family visit would be a once a year occasion, if that ; Dad, Mum, and three children £100 :( I'm not surpised it has gone out of business. It's just not viable with such a small customer base.

I'm never been tae it, lang time fae I wis in Orkney but is yun true, £20 per person...???

Seems a helluva figure. Da bowling alleys sooth are brolly pricey but nowhere near dat much. Nae winder it's shut.

The bowling alley in Thurso is very successful, so successful that they made enough money to build a cinema next door to it....which in turn is also very successful. Catchment area can't be that much bigger than Orkney or Shetland. As with a lot of things though, it isn't just about opening the doors and waiting for folk to come, it's about how it is marketed.

The Thurso alley started out by buying 2nd half bowling equipment from a US military base that was going to close down in the area. Any entrepeneurs in Shetland need look no further than Orkney if they're looking for some 2nd hand bowling gear :wink:

Surely it's just a case of not over stretching the business. A dedicated business devoted to nothing but a ten lane bowling alley will probably do great business for the first couple of months and then the novelty will wear off and the place will go under.

Tortoise and the hare situation, start small, stay small and win in the long run. Why not add two or three lanes to an existing business? Yes for the first while, it'll be difficult to get a lane but after a while it'll calm down and it won't cost a fortune to keep open.

Big problem is where to put it? The clickimin is full to bursting, Isleburgh doesn't have the room neither. Perhaps one of the out of lerwick leisure centres could find a home for it?

Not ideal, but at least it would be sustainable and anybody that really wanted to bowl would make the effort and make journey.

Big problem is where to put it? The clickimin is full to bursting, Isleburgh doesn't have the room neither. Perhaps one of the out of lerwick leisure centres could find a home for it?

Are there lies the issue I am on about. Why should the local authority or trusts have to be involved at all?

The admission charge at the Kirkwall alley was in the order of £20. At that sort of rate a family visit would be a once a year occasion, if that ; Dad, Mum, and three children £100 :( I'm not surpised it has gone out of business. It's just not viable with such a small customer base.

I'm never been tae it, lang time fae I wis in Orkney but is yun true, £20 per person...???

I think you'll fin dats not true £20 per lane! On sunday you even got a free Pizza, Fries an Juice for £20!!!

Heard a rumor dat da folk who own a hotel in Shetland wir thinkin o buyin da equipment?