Northlink sleeper seats?

Looking at a visit to the Shetlands.

Last year I took the northlink ferry and had a premium cabin all to myself. It was very pleasant, but I'm wincing at the cost of paying it again, and after reading you lot feeling slightly guilty about depriving other people of their rightful cabin space :)

Exactly how terrible are the sleeper seats?

The seats really are a pretty poor perch for the night. I've only once travelled without getting a bed in some form and couldn't sleep in the seat, ended up stretching out in the bar.

You can cabin share which is cheaper than paying for your own cabin, as long as you don't mind sleeping with a stranger. They have provided some extra cabins this year including some adapted for sharing with 'modesty' curtains around the bunks.

I wouldn't feel guilty though about using up a whole cabin. You're as entitled as anyone else to one. It's Northlink who should feel bad about the service they provide, not their customers.

Forget about the seats, I have't found anyone who has had a decent sleep on those.

My tip is to wait until the last film finishes and slip into the cinema to sleep. Right against the back wall on the floor. The lights are on low in there and not many people seem to try and sleep there.

I've slept on the couch outside the bar a couple of times. Relatively comfy, but you still get people constantly walking past you to go out for a smoke. And it's very bright up there too.

Although I've never had to sleep on the floor on a really rough night, I still reckon the best sleeps I have had on the boat have come when I haven't had a cabin.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It all depends what you have on the next day. If you've got a busy schedule and don't want to waken up ramished (exhausted/fatigued), then the recliner's probably not the best option.

I have had many a good night's sleep on the floor (with an air matress and sleeping bag), but the sleeper seats are quite literally a pain in the neck.

It's obviously more comfortable with a cabin, but unfortunately I'm working for Litas and not £s.