Ness United & The Southern League

EISTnWAST

Are Ness United a sleeping giant or a joke?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Are Ness United a sleeping giant or a joke?

• Sleeping giant
    • A joke

[

Gadzooks I can't believe I'm saying this but Penfold is spot on :shock:

That and jumpers for goalpost every night all summer from 6pm to half 9 with 15 a side at the peak and headers and volleys when there was only 8 of us. Ahhhhhhh nostalgia.

thanks for the praise indeed, as I seem to remember though we had to play volleys only due to your refusal to head the ball until such time as you had passed your exams and found a way to fix your affro :wink:

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the praise indeed, as I seem to remember though we had to play volleys only due to your refusal to head the ball until such time as you had passed your exams and found a way to fix your affro :wink:

I've scored 2 headed goals in my life, quite enough for someone who played mainly on the right of midfield and was usually taking corners or free kicks anyway :P

A new name for the Southern League?

Smackdown Satarday, The tri-(nations)villages, Da Auld-flea league,

The southern super-liga, The league of (nations) villages, the people's league. The S-League. Crap names i kin!

Penfold is good at pep talks. They are very moving, affective, dynamic, eloquent, gripping, inspiring, meaningful, motivating, passionate, impressive and joyus.

You feel as though you are witnessing and listening to one of the greatest speeches in History. Penfold's pep-talks are ranked up there with Martin Luther King's "i have a dream speech", Malcolm X and Sir Winston Churchill.

On behalf of all the Shetlinkers-Penfold we want to hear more pep-talks?

Well, considering he's got the turning circle of the Bismarck and the speed of Teddy Sheringham i don't think he would meet the SLHF player selection criteria. :(

:) However, he needs to be acknowledged for his commitment, dedication and application to the Southern League. I would give him the title as the "SOUTHERN LEAGUE GOOD-WILL AMBASSADOR". I think this man deserves that title for keeping the Green Machine alive between 2000-2005. If it was not for this man the Southern League would have been a 3 team league since 2000 or non-existant.

This man has no-limits to what he can achieve. This man is a leader and he should get international recognition e.g FIFA, UEFA, S.F.A, United Nations, European Union all need men like him. We salute you Penfold.

I could say more but i've got a Lecture in 5 mins, bad times :cry:

Well, considering he's got the turning circle of the Bismarck and the speed of Teddy Sheringham i don't think he would meet the SLHF player selection criteria. :(

A note to all you young players don't ever try to pass the ball or play attractive football, I did and this is the thanks I got! :lol: :lol:

• 2 months later...

With Burra dropping out of the SFA set-up, surely it's now time to bring back the coveted Southern League. Today could be the day the pheonix rises from the ashes, and returns to it's former glory.

It would be back to the 4 team league that was respected throughout SouthMainlandWorld football.

Actual quote from my source in an important position at NUFC regarding player numbers for Ness B........ "should be plenty of players".

Proposal for 2008 Southern League

Burra are struggling for numbers, as would other sides if you stopped A league players from playing. To get round this problem, the league would be run in a more friendly spirit than before. If a team turns up with 9 players for example, the opposition have 2 choices. 1 - Play the game as 9 a-side. 2 - Give the opposition enough players to make up the 11. In the spirit of the league, there would be no players cup-tied for helping out another team.

Now onto the A league players issue. An A league player is someone who was named in the starting 11 for an A team, on the Friday previous to the Saturday fixture. This means no complaints from the Ness A team about their players being tired. It also gives players the chance to get a game when coming back from injury.

There is no reason for clubs to waste 100-200 pounds a season on referee fees. The home side should provide the referee, and he (or she) should referee the game in the spirit of the league.

Now this is usually the point where people start saying a B team is much better. However, I must ask the questions - How is it better? Will B's get more people playing? What do you hope to achieve from having a B team?

All sounds plausable EistnWast though it would need to be proper referee's it wouldn't work any other way, getting the home team to provide a ref from their ranks just dosn't work.

Burra are still members of the Southern League Football Association as they never recinded their membership when they went to join the SFA competition.

As for the aims of a B team I think from Ness Uniteds point of view it is to provide a platform for the players coming out of their Junior setup to build and learn the skills, tactics and attitude needed to step on to the next level, and also a place where the players who are not quite able to compete at the A team level anymore but have the knowledge and skills to play and pass them on to the youngsters coming through.

In time once the Ness setup is sorted I see there being a need for a more local based provision of football in the South Mainland, which in time should strengthen the Parish cup teams squads which I know is of concern to Cunningsburgh Sandwick and Southend Utd at the moment, unfortunately it cant all be done at the same time EistnWast it takes hard work commitment and dillegence and most of all it takes time.

Weel I'll stick my neck oot here penfold, and suggest that Ness B don't have suitable players to pass on knowledge and skills. It wis da sam whan I played B's. I learned nothing from the "experienced players". They are a bunch o sharggin auld B's, or guys that have never played A's (unless da team has been struggling). I always found SL had the right type of player you could learn something from. Guys such as Roscoe who ocassionaly turned out for B's, but didn't really want to travel any distance for a game. I hope yun's enough fur you tae get da jist o whit I mean. I would suggest this is a huge problem the manager would do weel tae address.

What can you learn from Roscoe? Well, he was a cool head at the back. Maybe lacked a yard of pace, but had great positional sense. On the odd occasion when he did get caught out he was always close enough, and calm enough, to bring the striker down before he got into the box. I blame the professional foul rule for his demise from the game.

Edited to protect the identity of the innocent.

I must say that I learnt alot from playing in the SL from both players in my team and those I played against, some of these players will turn out for Ness, but unless someone puts forward a motion at the SLFA AGM in late March and gains enough support for it I believe the League will lie dormant for another year yet.

There-in lies the crux of the matter EistnWast, there maybe "support" in the terms of turning up to kick the baa aroond but there is a real lack of support in the area that is really needed, which is to run and administer it.

Unless there has been a massive shift in the opinion of the present committee that I am unaware of, then it will need new blood to dust the league off and get it going in any format, and that just didn't happen at the last AGM everybody had an opinion, but nobody came forward to carry it on to the next stage and help implement it.