Bronies/Beremael Bannocks

Waddersty

• 1 month later...

Taken from 'Cookery for Northern Wives' by Margaret B Stout.

Ingredients:-

One pound of flour.

Half a pound of Beremeal

One teaspoonful salt

Two small teaspoonfuls Cream of Tartar

Two small teaspoonfuls of Baking Soda

Sweet milk and water

( If buttermilk is used, just one teaspoonful Cream of Tartar)

Method :-

Mix the dry ingredients together,make into a soft dough with the buttermilk, just as soft as can be easily handled. Turn on to a floured board, turn in the rough edges and roll out gently until 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut in squares or rounds, bake on a moderately hot girdle or in fairly hot oven for 10 - 15 minutes.

The bannocks should have a pinkish tinge when baked.

Sounds as if would make a lot of bannocks !

More recipes at Shetlopedia.com

Does onybody hae a recipe fir bronies? My Granny used tae mak dem whin I wis peerie an I wid laek tae hae a go at dem mesel.

Yesterday, I read the book "Travels in Shetland " (Charlton 1834)

He gives the following recipe " Take two good handfuls of the coarsest Shetland oatmeal ground on a genuine Shetland Watermill, and not sifted, Add water till it sticks together. Make then into a round cake 3" in diameter, put then into the hot turf (Peat?) ashes till it is thoroughly done on the outside. Then withdraw it, and on breaking the cake there will rush out a most savoury steam which you must check instantly by a large lump of butter, and then eat cautiously for fear of swallowing too much sand at a mouthful, or lest you break a tooth upon a fragment of the millstone. Such is Bursten Broonie."

They certainly liked their roughage in those days!

After that^ I split this thread, then went away and thought about it and couldna make any distinction in my mind as to a difference between a bronie and a beremael bannock. A bronie not being a brownie or broonie cake type thing i don't think. :wink:

So i've merged them again :wink:

This maybe a time to plug one of the Young Enterprise books doing the rounds this year. Shetland Scrapbook by Bolliment Books http://www.bolliment-books.co.uk/index.html only £6.99

has recipe for bannocks and Brunnies (the fruit kind) plus an intresting song titled 'Bannock an Bursteen an Brunnies'.

Thought of this thread when read it this afternoon.

As it is a good cause really wouldn't feel right typing out the bannock recipe in the book.

But Eshaness if you find a basic buttermilk scone mix and add a wee tad more bicarb, mix should be slightly wetter than a traditional scone. If no buttermilk available, mix milk and live yogurt. Some folk add sugar, mustard or cheese to take the extra fizz taste away that comes fae the extra bicarb, but it's needed for the right consistancy.

If in Baku would suggest chatting up one of the old wives in one of the greek churches, the old russian women do something very similar. But take it you're a bloke, so that maybe a bit more difficult, and I can't remember what they're called.