Ricky Gervais!

JAStewart

Ricky Gervais - Love or Hate?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Ricky Gervais - Love or Hate?

• Love
    • Hate

Personally I think this man is a bloody genius. A revolution. A comedic saviour. I might be an atheist (as is he) but he's my messiah.

BUT

I know that people either seem to love or hate him (can't stand his cringy humour etc).

What aboot you?

http://uk.gizmodo.com/David_Brent_111.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed the office first time round - until I saw Ricky Gervais on talk shows. I'm convinced that he is unable to be anyone other than himself - he also comes over as being self centred, pompous and over enthusiastic about his own abilities.

I've watched other things he's done since, but still haven't seen any change in his acting or anything to make me laugh. I wondered why people put themselves through the hassle of appearing with him in Extras...

The Office was absolutely AMAZING, a top class programme.

:!: :!: :!:

and Gervais was also outstanding in it :lol: Hilarious 8)

However I think extras is a load of SHI*E, its like a cheap version of the office, with poor jokes and no comic value :cry: :x

Gervais as a stand up is also quite poor in my opinion.

CAn't answer the poll question because its mixed, in some areas i love him, in others i hate.

He's NO PETER KAY- that guys a legend inevery thing he does From Stand up, to Max and Paddy, FUNTASTIC

Well its nno my cuppa tuy!!

Am a big fan of the office though, although McKenzie Crook (aka Gareth) is just about everyones fave office actor, he ran the show :wink: :lol: :D .

personally i think Gervais would be better of forgetting about stand up, I saw politics abd the other one, Flanimals mibee canna mind. He does come over as being rather pompous and is humour is sometimes quite dry and boring.

On chat shows he does just ramble on about how good he is. (but that is kinda what chatshows are aboot)

I think he's brilliant. The office wis excellent and he wis the undoubted star. And extra's got better the more I watched it, i didn't like his manager (and co-writer) in extra's although most ppl seemed to love him. I understand what you mean coming across a bit pompous, its a bit like Chris Moyles's attitude on radio 1 ('the saviour of radio 1'). But I hate Moyles and love Gervais :D

I don't think Mr Gervais's comedy in 20 years time will stand up as well as some other TV series have done.

I still laugh at Only Fools and Horses, Dads Army, Blackadder but The Office IMHO won't be deemed to be as funny given that test of time.

That and Gervais isn't as funny as he thinks he is, Extras proved that.

I think he's brilliant. The office wis excellent and he wis the undoubted star. And extra's got better the more I watched it, i didn't like his manager (and co-writer) in extra's although most ppl seemed to love him.

He was nearly better than Gervais in Extras! He got nominated for a comedy oscar thing for his performance!!

I don't think Mr Gervais's comedy in 20 years time will stand up as well as some other TV series have done.

I still laugh at Only Fools and Horses, Dads Army, Blackadder but The Office IMHO won't be deemed to be as funny given that test of time.

That and Gervais isn't as funny as he thinks he is, Extras proved that.

I disagree. The Office continues to sell DVD's, has sold millions, won a Golden Globe and a BAFTA. I watch it every single week pretty much. I was thinking of starting a Gervais appreciation society at the uni actually.

What wasn't to find funny about the Extras? I think it was so damn clever... it was showing what he would be like if he hadn't got the office big break. I actually think that in parts, Extras is funnier than The Office. I'd say he changed his style slightly for it to include not just cringe comedy, but just funny funny things

I disagree. The Office continues to sell DVD's, has sold millions, won a Golden Globe and a BAFTA. I watch it every single week pretty much. I was thinking of starting a Gervais appreciation society at the uni actually.

What wasn't to find funny about the Extras? I think it was so damn clever... it was showing what he would be like if he hadn't got the office big break. I actually think that in parts, Extras is funnier than The Office. I'd say he changed his style slightly for it to include not just cringe comedy, but just funny funny things

Yeah but it's not 20 years after the Office was first shown is it, or have I lost track of time. The awards a show wins doesn't mean it will have longevity either, it just means in any one year the panel who vote for these things preferred it.

What wasn't to find funny about Extras was the fish in a barrell brand of comedy. Making Kate Winslet smoke and swear a lot, make Daniel Radcliffe a smutty teen it's hardly difficult to take someones public persona and portray the actual person as the opposite. Gervais isn't the comedy genius he thinks he is which is why the Office had to stop after 2 series because we'd all gotten the joke and there was nowhere else to take it.

Like I said in 20 years we'll see how much Ricky Gervais is likened to a comedy god, personally think we'll see very little of him or the Office.