Under 21 representative Shetland team

penfold

Should Shetland Have an Under21 representative team  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should Shetland Have an Under21 representative team

• yes?
    • no?

An idea was floated at the SJFA AGM last night by Derek Bradly, and it revolved around the idea of forming an Under 21 representative team for Shetland as a further tool in the development of players coming out of the Under 18 junior inter county team, who maybe are not quite ready to break into the Senior Inter county team, it was felt at the meeting that it was an area the Shetland Football Association should look at as it was outwith the age group governed by the Junior association.

so what do you think is it a goer? should we look at it as a way to better devolpe our players on their way to the Senior county team?

I always thought it was a shame the UN21 inter county match collapsed because there is nothing to bridge the gap between junior and senior county.

Not all players have the ability or good fortune to go straight from junior to senior county level so why not continue their developent through an UN21 team.

It would certainly get my backing.

would there be any point??

HAlf the players will be outwith shetland at university and such anyway, and playing football for there uni teams etc.

It will probably break up the season for the clubs in shetland even more and lead to more players being unavailable.

Surely we could makes teams up non-uni going humans?

I think it would be a big step in the right direction to have an U21 team.

They could play games whenever the senior county travelled to play someone. That way it would give the younger senior county players more experience.

Every year when the initial squad is named, you can find some boys in there who have no chance of playing. They only get picked because they have potential, and to give them experience of training with the senior team. Often this is at the expense of older players with more ability. What happens is, two years later they've played 37 minutes of football for Shetland and are replaced by the next young prospect.

U21's would be a better way to find out who can cut the mustard at senior level. The best U21 players could still have their 18 minutes for the senior team, but would have 90 minutes in an U21 game.

I also think it would give players something to aim for, rather than saying 'sod this - I'm off to the Works League to be a superstar'.

I don't think this poll should be yes or no. It should be do we need an U21 or a B team?

All comes down to cost. Not sure anbout further grant aid as I suspect the SFA use up their "quota" on senior county, Island Games, running costs etc?

It would have to run by the senior Association because they are affiliated to the SFA through the SJFA and a reprasentative team has to be affiliated to play in those type of competitions.

Not convinced that there are the tournaments available. Most of these things are run for kids (under 18) and those that are not tend to included pro or semi-pro set ups and would be beyond Shetland and hard to get into.

I think it would be a good idea if the fine detail could be sorted, it would be more advantageous I think to have a under 21's team than a B team but thats just my personal opinion, if the SFA are serious about entering the highland league through its cup competitions then I think it would be a good aid to the players development from 18 through to the senior squad.

if the SFA are serious about entering the highland league through its cup competitions.

Perhaps that would be the first step for the teams development and where the bulk of the spend will go over the next few seasons?

Maybe have to wait before starting another drain on finance?