Lingo

Juan Du Braz

Sorry Nautim,

Understood everything apart from the last bit. Jeez, cant a guy throw out a petty ill informed insult without some BBC researcher getting on his case?

To all the autistism suffers, I apologise. I heard that fact from my friend who heard it on the radio. So get your pitchforks and flaming torches round to Ian from SIBC..... :twisted:

:twisted:

I'm sure that autism is no higher here than elsewhere.quote]

Apology accepted.

I'm not a BBC researcher - I just happen to know the subject.

Just don't believe everything you hear on the radio... particularly secondhand.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, too, would be interested to find out where Juan u Braz gets his/her information.

Re the link nautim posted - Chart 2 in the document I believe could be slightly misleading for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, it mentions pupils with autumn spectrum disorders...FFS, yes, of course we all know what is meant by it but in an official HMIE document....c'mon.

Secondly it simply states (or intends to) pupils with ASDs as a % of pupil population. It's quite easy to miss the bit above chart 1 where it differentiates between the diagnosis, recording and reporting procedures of the different local authorities.

So perhaps Shetland comes out top because we diagnose better, have better provision or possibly because we DO have a higher proportion of the population on the spectrum.

Finally, Juan, if you chose your perception of Shetland's high incidence of ASDs as a reason to 'be insulting about Shetland one could pick a litany of areas to poke fun at' you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself.

So from the replies to my thread I'm not allowed to question

1) The use of dialect in the written word in Shetland and how it may exclude new community members.

2) Autism.

Is there any other pillar of Shetland society that is off limits? I'd better not mention the Jarl Squad and the correlation with repressed homosexuality. Aaargh, too late!

PS I thought Dialects chased Dr Who.

Quite frankly I'm almost speechless by Juan's insensitivity - but then I guess that's internet forums fer ya.

If it's PC to point out when someone is being a completely insensitive, narrow-minded, petty, little bigot then please, let me be PC for the rest of my days.

Perhaps it's just old-fashioned of me to expect someone to back up any statements with verifiable data or clearly express them as opinion - high horses don't come in to it.

And if you think any of the other conditions you've described are more worthy of poking fun at then I quite frankly have no desire to debate with someone as incapable of mature debate as yourself.

I'm sure that autism is no higher here than elsewhere. However, I'm just off the 'dog and bone' (thats for you Sludge) to the NBA (National Banjo Association) and they inform me that uptake of the instrument on these fair isles is 3 times the national average. This number increases to 5 times national average in Northmavine.

Yee-ha!!

"a completely insensitive, narrow-minded, petty, little bigot"

In the words of the King, "Ah thank you". By the way, I dont think Islamic militancy is a condition. It's a religious doctrine. Hey but you'll know best. Dig out the facts and figures on that one and I'll supply the baby oil!

In relation to laughing at heart disease and cancer, if you'd had them you would find a way to laugh. If you've got them now...type faster!

It's quite unfortunate that in there somewhere is a very hot topic, but it's meaning is being lost in an inability to express opinions in an educated and constructive manner.

May I refer all posters to:

1. You agree, through your use of the Shetlink website, that you will not post (or hyperlink to) any material or use language which is defamatory, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, inciting of violence, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or in violation of ANY UK law. Personal attacks, inflammatory posts, harrassment, impersonation and trolling will not be tolerated.

Edging close to being locked 'cos it's just ending up into a witter 'o nonsense!

May I also refer everyone to the varying topics already on Shetlink regarding Shetland identity; soothmoothers; dialect forum as a whole; and just a general lesson in online decorum! All of these topics have been discussed at length prior with some very interesting reading.

IT SHOULD NOT BE USED IN THE WRITTEN FORM

Ok, use of any written dialect is not acceptable in a legal or formal context today, but neither is abbreviated text language. Should that be stopped?Views in the times or on Shetlink are just that. Not formal or legally binding. I don't think people use it in the paper to exclude anyone. You have to remember that publications like the times and websites like Shetlink are local to the island and the only places where written dialect can be used to communicate with. You could hardly write into the Guardian in Shetland dialect. While I don't think the presence or absence of the dialect has anything to do with where you call home, it's a good thing that people want to use it. IMHO I think that young people are using the accent less and less because of fear of embarrassment if not understood, in their own community, which is totally wrong. I had jibes about having a strong accent from my peers when growing up in Shetland! You only have to listen to the conversations of kids on Commercial St to realise most of them are not speaking in anything like Shetland dialect.

And what about commonly spoken Shetland words where there is no english equivalent (e.g spaegie)? Stop using them too?

There is a tourist market for dialect products - I've seen fridge magnets, dish towels and coasters.My friends and colleagues down here think the dialect words are great - I still manage to surprise them with my "crazy Shetland words" after 4 years!

I agree with everything you say.

The dialect is brilliant and I have the coasters with the words on it. My point is that if the dialect is strong it'll look after itself. I just don't like it being 'laid on thick' or forced on others. It should be a right to speak whatever way you like.

I remember a colleague telling me the Shetland word for dried out ladybits (avoiding vulgarity) and I laughed so much I nearly prolapsed my bottom positioned orifice.

As for facts and figures, 31% of people in this country are employed in collating stats. I know this because I've got a tam working on it.

Well informed debate on other threads in all well but we need some emotive riffing on a hot topic. Bet it's got yeez thinking!

My point is that if the dialect is strong it'll look after itself. I just don't like it being 'laid on thick' or forced on others. It should be a right to speak whatever way you like.

I believe this is the point. The fact is that "dialect" is diluted, for want of a better word, so it's contemporary form isn't strong. Further to the point is forceful posts here and or anyones perceived social exclusion can, in my opinion, be partly attributed to the potential lack of either formal and or personal understanding of a "Shetland identity" .... in either party involved ...

... please do read the posts in the Shetland Life section regarding Shetland identity and also the varying posts in the "written form" section regards the position that dialect speaking and writing is taking in modern society. It may just give a little understanding to the gravity of this topic ..