The big issue guy

george

Hi, just felt compelled to see if anyone else is fed up of being slagged off by our new big issue seller who has taken up stance outiside Oslas?

I have absolutely no problems with anyone selling this excellent magazine and totally support what it does for those less fortunate than ourselves. Thats why it bothers me so much that some guy has taken it upon himself to humiliate anyone who decides not to purchase it from him. I have witnessed him hurling abuse on several occasions, shouting at ladies about how theyre lucky to have a job and calling people cold.

One day I told him I had already purchased a mag that week while I was away and he still had a go at me! Totally out of order. No one deserves to feel victimised and humiliated just because they dont choose to purchase a magazine.

Rant over:)

Outside Somerfields last night, I would say he was in breach of this code.

1. Use threatening or aggressive behaviour or offensive language (including

racist, sexist or homophobic comments) at any time while acting as a Big

Issue vendor.

Guest Anonymous

Yes i saw da big issue man at safeways and did not buy the mag because I am sure he had a roof ower his head somewhar and besides der is plenty of jobs in the local salmon & pelagic factories whar he could do a lot better for himself and help pull his own wieght oot o the gutter.

And speakin o wieght it looks lik hes eatin plenty as weel !!

I thought individuals were not supposed to be singled out for this kind of attack on Shetlink, particularly when the attack could potentially affect his job. How is this different from the discussion about the wanna-be jarl, which was removed? Or are homeless people exempt from the rules?

I have to say though, having spoken to the guy, he seemed perfectly pleasant and reasonable to me (and yes, he is homeless). I think if I had nowhere to live I would probably get fed up and angry some of the time, particularly at people who try to pretend you don't exist.

Also, droilker, it's pretty difficult to get a job when you don't have an address or a bank account. That's why he's selling magazines. It's not a lifestyle choice.