Tom Waits

JAStewart

I don't know if this is just a Shetland myth, but I remember being told about how in the late 80's or early 90's Mr Waits himself got in touch with the Shetland Folk Festival Committee asking if he could play at the next Festival. The committee stalwart he spoke too had no idea who he was and is reported to have said... 'weel, send wis a demo and we'll hae a listen'. Waits understandably didn't make any further inquiries, nor send the demo!

If this is true it really is tragic and if false it's still a good yarn!

Best live gig I've been to was in London in 2004 - brilliant live, totally bonkers.
I'm hugely jealous! The show sold out within 20 minutes, and Mr Waits himself is morally against ticket touts and inflated online auctions prices, so who am I to argue (and I couldn't afford the £300+ asking price on eBay either)

Everybody should own 'Nighthawks at the Diner'. Classic stuff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I hope you all got your tickets for Edinburgh! I got great seats near the front. Yes 95 quid is expensive, but totally worth it and a fraction of what the ticket touts would be selling them for (I was offered 900 by a tout at the last gig).

Still a few tix left fae www.ticketmaster.co.uk and 08706063424

good luck!

£100 pounds might seem a lot to pay, but bear in mind that the new anti-touting regulations (purchaser max 2 tickets, and must have cardholder and guest names on the tix, along with photo id on night of gig) means that people wont have to pay £500 on ebay for them.

I'm still not sure if your first comment was tongue in cheek about getting him to the folk festival as he is probably slightly beyond that, but the electric atmosphere at his gigs is enough for me to say that £100 is worth every penny. I've spent that on a crap night out and forgotten it.

Nighthawks is a classic album I agree. His live stuff doesn't resemble this though, it will be mostly his most recent output (Real Gone, Orphans, maybe some Mule Variations/Alice/Blood money).

Just to rub it in again, my seats are right up at the front 7 rows from the front :P