Shetland Badminton.

Frankie

• 5 weeks later...

Shetland Badminton team selection's have not been easy down the years. Selectors have made howling mistakes but they have also had to put up with lobbying from players, prima donnas who take the dorts when their favourite partners are taken away ... and from folk that get upset when the juniors don't get in. Well, I'm old and lost my young years to injury but I'm still playing. I work hard and it took me seven years to make the Shetland team. And after ten years of work I finally won the Shetland men's doubles title. And some out there would still have rather had juniors in the senior team before me. I really don't think so! Shetland Badminton Assoc. and Orkney Assoc. don't want juniors in the team. So have your say ... but change the policy before breaking the rules. And put juniors in teams on merit. Not before. They don't need to take places from stronger players to develop and the odd times I've seen juniors in the senior team .. or a younger player given the benefit of doubt over a vet. ..... the youngsters have let the team down and sometimes let themselves down as well. I've thought about this a lot and I'll keep treating juniors as equals. It works for all of us.

There are pre-requisites that make folk eligible, and there are selection criteria for deciding who's in and who's partnered up. Not all Shetland selectors like to speak about this much, as there is little agreement out there and they get sniped at a lot. But these are the best I’ve come up with, but of course this is only the personal set of a one-time only (and ex) selector for the B Team. Pre-requisites include: (Shetland) residency, any age limiters in force, and regular attendance at county training. The main selection criteria are: physical skills and ability, mental ability, current form and fitness, and the ability to “partner†other players in the squad. And then into the mix selectors must put recent tournament form, results recorded at training, anticipated opposition, and any serious behaviour or disciplinary lapses. And (last but not least) the development potential of each player, which should favour the up and coming players. One past selector once said that ….. for the Orkney Inter County match I will always select what I believe to be the strongest possible team. I appreciated that open and honest approach (even when I didn’t always agree with the choices the person made). And they also said that they kept in mind that Orkney would not appreciate being sent a “weakened†team for our top level event.

Would it not be better if the selectors set out a selection criteria so that the players knew what they had to do to be selected. Why the secrecy ? If everything was out in the open and the players accepted the selection criteria at the beginning of the season, then the selectors couldn't be criticised. It would make their job a lot easier, even if they had to tell their best buddies they hadn't made it into the team.

The ''criteria'' you spell out above surely didn't apply to this year's 'B' team, judging by some of those selected. :lol: :lol: :lol: The words 'fitness' and 'physical ability' and 'development potential' don't really spring to mind with some of them.

I was actually asked the day before the match if I wanted to play. I'm not sure if it was for my badminton ability or for my ability to sink a few pints after the match. :wink:

Obviously I refused because of my lack of development potential.

Don't you play some kind of tournament to select who represents the county. Thats what the did down in Aberdeenshire when I played 15 years ago (never represented them mostly because of my arguments with my doubles partner :lol: )

Surely that way the form of the top 4 players in a tournament shows who should represent the county on ability and results.

Depends how many players you've got I suppose

Also depends on the format of the tournament.

If it is a straight knockout then the top two players might end up playing each other in the first round etc.

But obviously a competitive tournament would be a good indicator of how well players had developed the other criteria (mentioned above) over the winter training months.

What was the A squad anyway Frankie, has it been picked yet?

The Intercounty was a few weeks ago.

Team members were.

Jason Jamieson, Gordon Keith, Graham Keith,Norman Sineath, Colin Grant, Arnold Brown, Zoe Anderson, Morag Fox, Anne Wood, Annette Gear, Angelina Sandison, and Louise Hutchison.

http://www.shetlandtoday.co.uk/Shetlandtimes/content_details.asp?ContentID=25720

The first four couples places are usually not up for debate. There are usually another four couples in the reckoning for the last two mens and ladies places. It wouldn't require much effort to get the 4 couples together and play a couple of round robin type tournaments to see which two couples should be in the team on merit a month or so before the Intercounty.

My experience of County Pool training was that none of the selectors kept a note of results and when presented with them they didn't want to know.