Champions League Final

JAStewart

I just heard on 5 live that after Ronaldos penalty miss, they've taken the player of the year trophy off him.... and given it to John Terry. At least one Chelsea player ended the season with some silverware.

Gutted. Well, a day for glory hunters it is, well done Man United!

:shock: how are man u fans glory hunters while chelsea fans aren't??? Chelsea have certainly bought their successes and many fans have jumped on their bandwagon since.

Although Man U have invested serious money into their squad, they have a backbone of true Man U people i.e. Ferguson, Giggs, Scholes, Neville etc.

Plus ManU actually have history so they probably have a more loyal spine of fans than chelsea

I hate the 'home grown' claims from United fans, what about Carrick, Ronaldo, Rooney, Evra, Van Der Sar, Ronaldo, Anderson Nani, Tevez, Vidic?

You can say that Chelsea is not home grown at all, but thats ok with me, I've never claimed it.

:shock: how are man u fans glory hunters while chelsea fans aren't??? Chelsea have certainly bought their successes and many fans have jumped on their bandwagon since.

Yep. Definitely a strange accusation to make at Manchester United fans when talking about them beating Chelsea.

Thought it was a great game. I absolutely abhor Manchester United (and I'm not sure that's even a strong enough word) but it's hard not to feel happy for Bobby Charlton. Compare and contrast him with Peter Kenyon. :?

I think there is a serious argument for both teams here. 3 years ago Fergie tried to conjure his magic again by not investing in the squad, and making Fletcher, O'shea etc automatic first choices. That season they didn't even make it out of the group stages of the champions league, as well as never troubling Chelsea in the League.

The bar had been raised by Chelsea.

This year Fergie has strengthened, and all 4 of his buys had a part to play in the final.

If chelsea hadn't have come in with millions to spend, would the likes of Eagles, Shawcross, Evans, Campbell, Wellbeck, Simpson and Bardsley be first team regulars by now. Without the experience, it's difficult for these guys to get in the team.

My point is, Chelsea has made the English game much stronger, and the top 4 teams are rightly recognised as 4 of the best 8 teams in Europe, season after season.

Where this will end, who knows? Mr Abramovich will no doubt have the chequebook out again this summer, as will Sir Alex

I think the point also has to be made that Manchester United can invest huge amounts of money BECAUSE they were so successful in the early to mid nineties (just as the Premier League was taking off). That's a reason why they've got so much resources.

Chelsea were a good team before Abramovich but have only taken it to the next level AFTER they got the huge investment.

Although Man U have invested serious money into their squad, they have a backbone of true Man U people i.e. Ferguson, Giggs, Scholes, Neville etc.

Plus ManU actually have history so they probably have a more loyal spine of fans than chelsea

Well as a Rangers fan who cops nothing but crap because I'm not from Glasgow I have an element of sympathy for people who support a team not from their back yard.

On the other hand though both Man Utd and Chelsea had massive spikes in their fan base after they got a bit of success, for example when I was in 1st year at secondary school back in 1989 nobody had a Man Utd top everyone had Liverpool tops, skip forward to 1992 and everyone had Man Utd tops and hardly a Liverpool top to be seen. Then look at celebrity fans who have no reason to support a team other than it is the one that is doing well, if I see one more Soccer AM when some daft dolly bird says she's a Chelsea fan I'll bloody scream. Then look at all those muppets in the far east who support English teams, what the hell is all that about. Just means the reserve team and half the first team who couldn't get out of it get dragged to Shanghai to play the local riot police in a friendly while a bunch of screaming school kids tell us they love Frank Lampard.

I can't see why anyone from Scotland should be a Man United or Chelsea fan or a fan of any other Premiership team, I like to see Aston Villa do well but I don't claim to be an Aston Villa fan.

Rant over :lol:

I think if you live in Shetland then you can support whoever you like as there is no local team. Whether its Celtic, Rangers, Chelsea, Milan whoever. Quite a lot of supporters in Shetland could be labelled glory hunters as they are quite likely to support whoever is winning (like Johan pointed out) when they first start getting into fitba. Especially those who don't have parents or older siblings who influence them.

I dislike both teams coz I don't like seeing any teams from the Premiership doing well, but i was wanting Chelsea to win. I think Chelsea deserved to win last night but Man U were probably the best team in the champs league this year but it was a great game whatever way you look at it.

I often get introduced to people on nights out in Aberdeen as a Falkirk fan and I'll get told that it's nice to see someone supporting their local team. I then have to inform them I was born and grew up over 350 miles away and I never go there unless it's for football!!

I think Stoichkov's right - it's very hard for a Shetlander to be criticised as a glory hunter.. unless you maybe change teams to a more successful one. It is kindof strange to think we invest so much time and money following teams we really have no connection to but after a while it just becomes second nature.