Things to do in Shetland in August

That's the tickets booked; I will be in Shetland with my family on Friday 8th August, leaving again on Wednesday 20th August.

I don't see much happening in the events diary, particularly for children. Any information on what's on, or any suggestions as to where to take the children would be very much appreciated. We'll most likely be staying in North Nesting, although we'll have our own transport so travelling isn't an issue.

Obviously, we'll be visiting the new museum, and the swimming pool's a must as it's prohibitively expensive to go swimming here.

Another thing, are there any family oriented bars? Now that the smoking ban's in force it would be nice to go somewhere with live music. Are children allowed in the Lounge, or is that only at certain times?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Medziotojas

The local shows - Waas and Cunningsburgh - you will have missed the Voe one. Local beaches are great and unspoiled - Saands o' Soond, Gulberwick, Levenwick etc

Visits (including the ferry trip) to Yell, Unst, Fetlar, Whalsay and everything they have to offer such as beaches, walks, museums, archaeology, food.

Birding trips around Noss. Walks and tales of Old Lerwick.

It all depends on your interests. There is plenty to see and do.

Heylor is I think one of the best beaches to take the kids to. The sealife around the shore usually entrances even the most "bored" child. With flat fish underfoot, at least 3 types of star fish, sea urchins, crabs, countless types of seashells, coral and interesting looking jelly fish as well as the all important sand, never met a child yet who hasn't loved it. follow up with a trip to braewick cafe at eshaness, for some of the best fish and chips and good coffee.

Silk painting for 11-14yearolds at museum on friday 8th

make your own clay pot 5-7yearolds on tuesday 12th

preschool (3&4years) sat 19th for the clay pots

at the museum - check availability on 695057

Delting boating club have week long sailing lessons (mon-fri 2hrs/day morn or afternoon) ending up with a national certificate.

Fly to one of the small islands wed for foula rtn trip, fri for fairisle rtn trip, reasonably priced (compares well with train fares south) and great way to see shetland landscape from above. Kids can also sit in co-pilot chair (view isn't great for smaller kids but an experience they'll never forget)

Quite a few of the bars do family meals these days, but the best bet if you want to enjoy a family night out with some music is to check the local press for events in local halls.

The kids can run around and dance, whoever isn't driving can have a few drinks all in a very relaxed atmosphere.

Many thanks for all your replies. There's a few things worth checking out, and I'm glad we won't have missed all the shows.

The sailing course intrigues me, but unfortunately as it's a week long course and our time is limited I don't think it will be possible. Anybody know if it's possible to rent out a mirror dinghy for a couple of hours from any of the boating clubs? I can sail myself, and I would like to take my eldest daughter out.