Thermal paste

ArabiaTerra

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, I tried two different ribbon cables with the broken PC, then unplugged the DVD drive on my PC and plugged the HDD into that. It didn't even see it.

You change the HDD jumper settings if you put it in as a slave into your PC? If you didn't then that might be why it isn't being seen. The odds of HDD and CPU failing at the same time must be quite long, unless like you say they are related faults but I don't understand how one could cause the other.

... The odds of HDD and CPU failing at the same time must be quite long, unless like you say they are related faults but I don't understand how one could cause the other.

Neither do I, but it seems to be what has happened. I did have something like this happen to my own PC once. The graphics card failed and took the mobo with it (or maybe it was the other way round, they both had to be replaced). A HDD failure doesn't really surprise me with this particular PC. It has seen a lot of use. Luckily my pal bought an external HDD recently and backed everything up so its inconvenient rather than a complete disaster.

Actually, thinking about it, the blown CPU could be my fault while replacing the mobo, but I doubt it. If the initial fault had just been the HDD then I would have expected the PC to at least manage to POST. I originally suspected the mobo, in particular the Southbridge chip. Maybe that blew and destroyed the HDD and CPU? It is the link between them and it would explain the keyboard and PC speaker failure (I think).

Ive had this happen countless times :roll: it always happens when overclocking the CPU, or been fiddling around with the hardware, most likely due to static I would think. reset your cmos! at least give it a go, it wont blow up or anything http://home.comcast.net/~soundguy1/cmos.html its usually a simple thing to do, but after you do it, you might need go into setup in the bios, and make sure you are still booting from you hard disc, if not just alter it and save/exit. this effectively resets the bios, it takes very little to upset the bios sometimes.