Thermal paste

ArabiaTerra

Anybody got any?

I have just changed a motherboard on a mates computer and it is shutting down about 5 seconds after switching on, which I think is being caused by a temperature overload on the CPU. When I fitted it, I didn't have any fresh paste so just used the remains of the old stuff which obviously is not up to the job.

So, anybody got any thermal paste lying around (or know somewhere in Shetland where I could get some)?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I got some paste. Now the computer is running, except for no video output. I know it's not the GFX card as I have tried two different ones with no result. The motherboard is a replacement, so that leaves the processor or the memory. I don't think it's the memory as I can't see why that would affect the graphics, I mean I should be getting something.

So, anyone got a Socket A Athlon lying around they're not using?

Or is it something completely different that I'm missing (wouldn't be the first time)? :wink:

P.S There were no lights on the keyboard or beeps from the speaker (which is why I originally thought it was the mobo).

The fans run, but that's about as far as it goes. The screen sits there flashing "no signal" at me, the numlock light on the keyboard is off and there is no warning sounds at all from the PC speaker.

I would at least have expected to get into the bios screen with the replacement mobo, so this one has got me stumped.

resetting cmos is the first thing i'd try, there is pins on the motherboard which says cmos, you have to remove the jumper and connect it to the other pin for a few seconds before moving it back, then try rebooting it again. failing that, the lump hammer approach works quite well.