Thermal paste

ArabiaTerra

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody got any?

I think is being caused by a temperature overload on the CPU.

I've built a couple of AMD Pcs and one of the chips (can't remember which model) was very sensitive to heat, the chip would be fried within seconds if turned on without the fan running. Your cpu may be dead if temp is an issue.

These are cheap as chips (ho ho) now to replace though.

I agree with the above two comments. Unplug everything apart from the bare minimum - Mobo (obviously), PSU, 1 Stick of Memory, Graphics. Unplug anything else, incuding USB fly leads etc.

Oh no, it took me ages to get all those individual plugs sorted out. :cry: :wink:

Abandoned it out of frustration over the weekend. Going to try again today. Thanks for all the suggestions.

It doesn't have on-board graphics and the mobo LED is lit so I think the PSU is ok, but I have a spare which I'll try anyway. The processor is an Athlon 2600+, the generation before the Athlon 64. When I fired it up with the new mobo, the fans started up but there was no lights on my keyboard or error beeps from the PC speaker. One thing I did notice when rebuilding was that one of the memory sticks (512Mb) was 333 Mhz while the other two (256Mb and 128MB) were 266Mhz. I will try it with just the 512 stick.

Ok, I changed the PSU, removed all but the 333Mhz 512 Mb memory stick and unplugged everything else. Still nothing. All the fans work, the CD-ROM and DVD drives are getting power as the lights are flashing when I switch on, but there is still nothing from the keyboard or the PC speaker.

I also tried switching the 512 Mb for the 256 Mb memory but this made no difference.

So, I guess it must be the CPU. I can't think of anything else. http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/confused/confused0006.gif

It's not one of these new-fangled mobos which require two separate power lines from the PSU is it? I only ask because my brother and I sat scratching out heads for a while wondering why all the fans were coming on but there was no sign of a POST; turned out that we weren't supplying all the necessary power.

Right, I just tried the 512 Mb memory module in my own PC and it's working fine. The mobo is a replacement, the GFX card is a replacement and the PSU is a replacement. That just leaves the CPU, right?

So anyone got a Socket A Athlon lying around?

(This is assuming it's not the HDD as, if it was, I would at least expect the PC to POST.)

Tried unplugging the HDD etc, no change. Then I remembered I had an old Athlon 1200 in an old comp in a cupboard. I tried that and away she went... as far as boot screen anyway.

I am now getting the message : Primary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable.

I tried changing the cable but it had no effect. There are no bent pins on the HDD or mobo

I tried various cable configurations with no joy, then I removed the HDD and plugged it into my PC. It doesn't even see it and furthermore the CD-ROM, which is on the Slave socket on that cable is now invisible too so it's looking like the HDD is kaput and the PC can't see anything past it.

So, dead CPU and HDD. Looks like my mate would be as well to invest in a new PC I think. She was intending to anyway, just not right now.

I wonder if it was the CPU which killed the HDD or vice versa?