Proposed Blydoit Abbatoir at Scalloway

Mattie

As far as I can see, this would help retain jobs and perhaps create new ones. With the correct, modern facilities, we could have all our locally produced meat slaughtered and butchered here, and sold here. That surely, has to be a good thing for everyone. From the local producers and consumers to the retailers and the local economy. We should be taking responsibility for the sourcing of our meat.

Why a fish factory should be ok but a slaughterhouse not seems entirely illogical and not a little hypocritical to me.

While I'm at it, the dairy should make Shetland cheese.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunna ken how you can compair a slaughterhouse to a fish factory. The noise and sight o da live animals goin to get killed canna be compaired to dead fish getting filleted. You widna see da fish or hear da fish afore day go to get filleted, an day are already dead!. The cows, pigs and sheep are living, breathing an shi*tting when day wid be ten to the factory.

I dunna ken how you can compair a slaughterhouse to a fish factory. The noise and sight o da live animals goin to get killed canna be compaired to dead fish getting filleted. You widna see da fish or hear da fish afore day go to get filleted, an day are already dead!. The cows, pigs and sheep are living, breathing an shi*tting when day wid be ten to the factory.

Ever been in a slaughterhouse when they were "working"? It doesn't sound like it.

Guest Anonymous

Perhaps it would be more suitable to be turned itnto a cinema and music venue for the folks of scalloway , trondra and burra .

Which would mean they would not have to drive there cars all the way to lerwick to watch movies and listen to live bands , with the added benefit of not having to burn as much fossil fuel to enjoy a good night out and help save the planet in the process ....?

Perhaps it would be more suitable to be turned itnto a cinema and music venue for the folks of scalloway , trondra and burra .

Which would mean they would not have to drive there cars all the way to lerwick to watch movies and listen to live bands , with the added benefit of not having to burn as much fossil fuel to enjoy a good night out and help save the planet in the process ....?

What's the difference between mutton and fish?

You would think The Scalloway meat Co would have a petition in favour of a local slaughterhouse, talk about low food miles.

I'd love for it to come to the north Mainland and offer some more local work, not much chance of that happening though, too far from Lerwick.

As a confirmed carnivore, I'm quite happy to kill my meat and eat it :shock: I Refuse to be a NIMBY.

As for kids having where their food comes from - in their face - why not? Is the fact our food used to be living, breathing animals, a dirty secret to be hidden away?

Be proud for the opportunity to have a clean, well run facility that cares about local livestock welfare in your midst where it can be seen to be providing a service to its local community.

(Steps off soapbox)

Isn't it more than a little bit ironic that one of the shops hosting a petition against the abbatoir is the Scalloway Meat Company? :!: :!:

lol, thats exactly what i thought. Would it really be any worse as a load of trucks running to and from the fish factory?

I don't live in Scalloway so obviously i see no problem with it.

Isn't it more than a little bit ironic that one of the shops hosting a petition against the abbatoir is the Scalloway Meat Company? :!: :!:

The same irony definitely applies to the fact the the driving force behind the petition is reportedly none other than a man who not very many years ago, owned probably more fish processing plants at various locations in Shetland than anyone else, with the associated traffic, noise, smell and mess that went with them, for those who lived near them.

East Voe resident Arthur Williamson, a former owner of several fish factories in the isles, is behind the petition.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2009/01/09/slaughterhouse-protest-grows-in-strength/

As a spokesperson on this issue, IMHO he is as bad a PR choice as hiring Rab. C. Nesbitt as spokesperson for a healthy lifestyle. Do I hear 'hypocrite' and NIMBY in this somewhere....

Please note that not everyone in Scalloway is against this venture. I've lived in Scalloway for 28 years and have absolutely no problem with the proposal. I went along to the meeting at the Scalloway Public Hall and was sceptical before hand. However over the course of the meeting and subsequently talking to a few people involved I can see absolutely no problem with it providing its run as said.

I don't believe that the arguments being put up against it will stand in the way of planning application being approved.

I have applied for shared ownership housing in this development before the propsoal and have applied since so its not a case that i'm for it because i don't live next to it.

This is craziness! Why can't they have it somewhere else, the 'plan' is too near to us, I can see from the living room window. It will smell, too bloodyand it's not your cup of tea! :x :x :x

no it wont. the last thing your slaughter house will want is the scent of blood to get to the animals before they are slaughtered. the ideal slaughter house will want the animals to remain calm as long as they can. plus with all the new rules about hygine the slaughter house will be cleaner than your kitchen.