Phone Advice

BigMouth

I can tell you what not to get.

I've had 2 sony ericcsons and they've both been pants. Tempermental buttons and turning itself off whenever it feels like it.

motorolla and nokia are both good and reliable cant advise on which model though.

Interesting. Exactly what my son ADVISED me to get!!

I said no since Sony started poisoning their CDs with that rootkit stuff.

I can recommend the Nokia 7610 not a new model but a good reliable phone.

It has a large screen and a fab camera (easily photograph a sheep with this one!), it is not a small phone but is easy to use.

I'm sure you and the sheep will be very happy together

:wink:

I can recommend the Nokia 7610 not a new model but a good reliable phone.

It has a large screen and a fab camera (easily photograph a sheep with this one!), it is not a small phone but is easy to use.

I'm sure you and the sheep will be very happy together

:wink:

Mmm, my son has one of these. It is very similar to the 6600, in fact I think that the only difference is that the camera is better.

Beginning to wish I hadn't mentioned the sheep :oops:

I have a motorola v3 (razr). Quite like it, it has a big screen. Half decent camera. The 'flip' style means the buttons dont get pushed unintentionally. Comes complete wit PC software and cable making it easy to transfer photo's and organise my phonebook.

Only real gripe is the buttons on the side of the phone which sometimes get pushed without noticing while it's in my pocket.

They have come out with a newer model now (forget if it's v3i or v3x) which has a 1.3 megapixel camera and memory storage card. Nice camera if you want that, but if you can do without, it will probably mean you will get the old model cheaper (or free on contract)

Well I have a Siemens A55 which I bought so people could still phone me when I was using a dial up internet connection. It wont take pictures, dance a jig or whatever. Funny enough I never take the thing out with me which is a bit daft as one day I might need it.

My Orange SPV C500 has, at various times, had beer, orange juice and water spilt on it and it's been dropped down concrete stairs on a couple of occasions and it still works perfectly!

It's got bluetooth, an ok camera and it runs Windows Mobile so you've got Outlook and IE on your phone. Highly recommended, although Orange reception is patchy at best in Shetland. Bizarrely enough, the best reception I've had has been in Bigton :?

My son has given me links to some really good offers.

One is http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/search.aspx?findPricePlan=368&findNetwork=ONE2ONE&findPhone=262

£35 per month but £180 of free anything you want.... PLUS.... you can choose a freebie such as a PSP Giga Pack / iPod Vid / half price line rental for 18 months etc.

Too good to be true perhaps, but is there anyone here using TMobile, especially in Lerwick?

Being a "favoured" :roll: past customer of dialaphone they contacted me recently with some amazing T-Mobile offers. According to their sales rep they are sharing with Vodafone up here, a quick look at their coverage map 'confirms' that they are covering almost the whole island. BUT, i asked the guy to call back (he wouldn't give me a number) after i had checked for coverage, and he never did, which raised my suspicions straight off, i think Lerwick is probably a safe bet, outwith that i wouldn't like to say.

Any body on T-Mobile?

ps get a phone with a built in torch if at all possible, handiest thing ever believe it or not! :wink: Also there are water resistant models, i'm reluctant to upgrade mine as it's been immersed on several occasions but to no harm, no bluetooth or built in camera though.

ps get a phone with a built in torch if at all possible, handiest thing ever believe it or not! :wink: Also there are water resistant models, i'm reluctant to upgrade mine as it's been immersed on several occasions but to no harm, no bluetooth or built in camera though.

I always carry a torch with me, but I keep an excellent one at home. It is always on so that you can find it when the power goes off. It runs on a 9 volt battery and I think that it lasts 3 months on low power. I also have an infra-red one, but sadly no goggles as yet. Could be great for nights of mischief :wink:

I got "the phonecall" from Phones4u informing me that I can now upgrade my phone this morning. So I am going in on Friday. At the moment I'm looking at one of the following...

Sony Ericsson w900i

or

Nokia 6280

I'm leaning towards the Nokia at the moment because its been a while since I've had a Nokia phone. Any recommendations?

I have a Nokia 6280 and have never had any bother with it at all, the camera is okay, the video recorder is pretty good and the thing is not too fiddly or prone breaking at the slightest touch (i.e. it handles being rumbled about very well). I have had it for two years and it is still going strong, Nokia all the way i would say! :lol: