Laptop Servicing

Becky

Hi there

My laptop fan is being a bit noisy and it seems to be overheating a bit. Where would you reccommend I take it for a service? And does anyone know how much it costs?

I am a bit concerned that if I leave it too long it could cause long term damage to my prized possession but am pretty skint at the minute!

any ideas anyone?

Becky

You could check to see if your fan is clogged with dust and dirt, then get your vacuum cleaner with the round head brush attachment (the one you are meant to do the furniture/curtains with), have vacuum cleaner on the lowest setting possible and vac the thing out but ensure laptop is switched off!

Laptops are notorious for overheating - how my mates manage to play bingo online on them for several hours beats me; all I can manage is about an hour online without reaching for a cushion as beloved Dell ends up burning my knees!

I think one problem that springs to mind is the fact that peeps buy laptops which used to be (if this isn't still the case) designed for occasional use and not for use for hours at a time. In other words, if you want a computer to use for hours on end and not occasional use, then buy a desktop and not a laptop - not intended to be aimed at you but I hope you get the meaning of what I'm saying.

Laptops do overheat; I've even had a friend's one overheat to the extent that the frame melted and knackered the hard drive at the same time which was, according to the manufacturer, a common occurrence (not because of the machine's design but because of peeps' mistreatment of said laptops).

I use my desktop for bashing away and the laptop for very occasional use. If you leave a laptop lying around, the fans soon get covered and clogged with dust, dog/cat hair, etc., not to mention the risk of a soft drink ending up inside it. Always put it away in the case when you've finished with it.

And yes, try the vacuum cleaner VERY gently. And yep, the mouse thingy does get hot too, especially after say an hour!

Best of luck.

Guest Anonymous

Oddly enough I read an article once which said that the most common cause of problems with laptops was overheating caused by people placing them on a cushion, or setting them on the bedding, hence obstructing the vents in the bottom of the casing.

Can't remember where I read this, but I'm sure there was a link in the article to some sort of tray arrangement specially designed to protect both knees, and laptop.

Thanks for all of this, I'll give you all my top tip of how I use mine to avoid immeadiate over-heating as I do over use it. It's been my student tool, because of bedsit life and such like.

I use it on my knee but always have a ring binder underneath to allow the vents room and to have it at a good angle.

I think in retrospect my expectations are a bit much and it is probably over use that makes it overheat so I will just try a gentle hoover.

Thanks again for all the replies though!

Becky

With your concern for your laptop as someone said it might be clogged up with dust the best way to clean it is you get a can of air and it blows all the dirt away but if you would like to be save rather than sorry and don't know much about comps I would take it to Bill at the computer clinic across from the Bressey Ferry, he is very reasonable. Like the other person said who answered your query.

With your concern for your laptop as someone said it might be clogged up with dust the best way to clean it is you get a can of air and it blows all the dirt away but if you would like to be save rather than sorry and don't know much about comps I would take it to Bill at the computer clinic across from the Bressey Ferry, he is very reasonable. Like the other person said who answered your query.

I did think of the compressed air can too but from memory, this stuff never used to be cheap! In response to the "cushion" comment, I very rarely did this as I too am aware re clogging up the vents.

Nice to see that other peeps have ideas/suggestions on where Becky can take the laptop.

Whilst on the subject, does anyone remember the exploding batteries on laptops years ago? I think there was a recall if I remember right!

ITS have done work on various laptops for our family and generally have been ok. The Computer Solutions guy in the old Harbour Cafe opposite the Bressay ferry resuscitated an old laptop for me, and he's probably cheaper.

My laptop's fan began to pack up and made terrible noise as well as getting way too hot. Getting the fan replaced was therefore a top priority. This, however, proved to be extremely difficult. I first tried to get quotes from the local firms. Shetland Office Supplies were hopeless and repeatedly promised a reply but kept needing reminded. MES declined politely (and are of course now out of the picture). ITS were really nice but after some sourcing said they couldn't obtain the necessary part.

I went looking online myself and found a firm who could provide the fan for about £65. It arrived and I took it to the old Harbour Cafe guy who put it in without fuss, though I can't remember the charge. Problem solved.

I still think ITS are good, but also rate the Harbour Cafe guy highly.