Low Flying Over Scalloway

GypsyScy

I grew up a stones throw from RAF Lossiemouth. There is also RAF Kinloss (Shackeltons and then Nimrods).

When the cold war was at its height, these bases were operational 24/7.

All runway approcaces were used despite crossing built up areas. Moving into the mid 70's more consideration was given to the general public and there was a lot less flying as the price of fuel went up and govenment cut backs bit hard.

However, consideration was put on back burner during NATO execises.

Worse still was the full neuclear scramble. You would have thought the bomb had actualy dropped. Long range Vulcan bombers fully armed with neuks and laden with fuel setting out on a one way trip to Moscow. Accompanying this, the short range fighter bombers to cope with the threat from the Warsaw pact countys and the fighters to take out incomming.

It sounded like armageddon but the scariest thing was each time it happened it could have been armageddon. :roll:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found out what the low flying is about thanks to an article in the Sunday Post I read this afternoon at my mother in law's.

16/11/09 - 26/11/09 TACTICAL LEADERSHIP TRAINING

The Tactical Leadership Training Course (TLT) will be taking place from 16-26 Nov 09. RAF Kinloss, Moray, will host the exercise and the associated flying will take place over the whole of Scotland, northern England and the North Sea. The aim of the TLT Course is to improve the tactical leadership of front line aircrew in combined Service air operations through intensive training in a controlled, but realistic, environment. This is a key training course that will help ensure that RAF aircrews are properly trained to meet the tactical demand of low flying. Flying operations will take place each week day approximately between 1315 -1615 hours. The flying activity will involve low-level flying (down to 250 feet) particularly over target zones simulated for ground attacks. The Electronic Warfare Range at Spadeadam in the Borders and the Air Weapons Range at Tain will be used extensively.

The Course will involve approximately 500 personnel and up to 43 fixed wing aircraft and 5 rotary platforms, consisting of - 8 Harrier GR9s, 9 Typhoons, 10 Hawks, 3 Puma, 2 Lynx, 5 DA-20 Falcons, 2 Hercules C130s, a VC10, a Sentinel, a NATO e3D and 6 Tornado GR4s.