SNP/BNP?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I see it the BNP are an extreme right wing group dedicated to ridding the UK of immigrants.....probably followed by gays, Jews, communists, etc. Maybe since they seem to be an English party the might even want to repatriate Scots.

The SNP on the other hand are a moderate centre left party who want Scotland to be an independent nation within Europe although I expect they might want some changes to the fisheries policy. That said there are some people within the party who have a racist (anti English) stance.

Of course the SNP might well sink to become a historical oddity if the Scots conspiracy to rule England continues. With the PM educated at Fettes, the Chancellor and various other government ministers being Scottish combined with the "Lothian" question with Labour from time to time winning votes or even forming a government only because of the number of Scottish MPs boosting Labour's total number of seats it seems the take over is well under way.

Or have I been reading too many conspiracy theories?.

I think it would be funny if the SNP won, then got independance for Scotland and a few years after that Shetland gained independance. Then all the oil field were Shetlands. Scotland would go bust! The SNP would have to beg to join the UK again and we could let the Council waste as much money as they wanted aqs we would have so much cash. Each Councillor could have a Norrona if they wanted!

Elaborate.

I'm just surprised that anyone would seriously not know the difference between the two parties, and so i guessed you might be kidding.

If this is not the case then either a) you genuinely don't know or B) you're trying to make some sort of political point about the similarities between the two.

If the answer is a) then that's fine. Surprising, but fine. :D

If it's B), then I'd be interested to see which policies you feel the two parties have in common.

personally, i don't see a big lot of difference, it's down to a case of what is socially acceptable.

it's frowned upon to be anti black, muslim, jew etc (and rightly so), yet for a vast number of people in this country (Scotland), it seems socially acceptable to be viciously anti English.

Don't hide behind the bull that it's all about political independance for Scotland, it's simply a case of "let's get those English b*****ds out of OUR country."

If it wasn't steeped in abject hatred of our southern neighbours, why does everyone interested in Scottish autonomy harps on about all the attrocities we've had to suffer at the hands of the English, yet turn a blind eye to all the benefits we have had (as all the home nations have had) by being part of a united nation.

the BNP are evil, vile people with hatred pumping through their veins, but at least their honest about how they feel, rather than hiding behind rhetoric.

If Scotland did get independence, we would be f***ed as a lot of our income and finance would be gone, and, as for the oil, don't think that we'd get to keep that. It's not Shetland or Scottish companies that are drilling and own the resources that are working on the oil fields. We get subsidies, we don't get the profit. Even that would potentially be in doubt. The oil is not ours to barter with.

evry time something goes wrong or whatever, the SNP are instantly in their blaming it all on the English and their 'foreign' government. They are just as xenophobic as the BNP, we just turn a blind eye, as we deem it is working in our favour. Yet how would we feel if all the ex pats now living in England were thrown out of their because the english didn't want them? we'd be up in arms, yet that's what the SNP are pretty much wanting done to the English.

The argument against this 'foreign' government is pointless anyway, what with the amount of high ranking scots within the corridors of power.

Don't get me wrong, the English aren't innocent. They're just as bad with the racist regard towards the likes of the French and Germans. But how can anyone harp on about the racist bile spouted out by the BNP, while condoning a more subtle, but just as dangerous form of prejudice being carried out by the SNP?

The BNP constitution states that the party 'stands for the preservation of the national and ethnic character of the British people'. Swap British for Scottish. and how exactly is this different from what the SNP claim?

Don't hide behind the bull that it's all about political independance for Scotland, it's simply a case of "let's get those English b*****ds out of OUR country."

If it wasn't steeped in abject hatred of our southern neighbours, why does everyone interested in Scottish autonomy harps on about all the attrocities we've had to suffer at the hands of the English, yet turn a blind eye to all the benefits we have had (as all the home nations have had) by being part of a united nation.

Hmmm...where does being in support of Scottish independence mean that you would want the country rid of English folk. Surely if those in support of independence got their way then one would assume Scotland would become a wealthier, more prosperous society - hardly the type of place 'non-Scots' would want to leave. Unless you are saying that the SNP would forcibly remove all immigrants, English or otherwise. There are several SNP ideas I am not keen on, but I think you are grasping at straws with this argument. Comparing the SNP with the BNP is naive and embarrasing in terms of a political debate.

You can shoot me down for "semantics" spankybear, but it always vexes me to see people using "racism" as a term between countries.

Nationalism and racism are not the same thing. And the SNP have never ever proposed any form of exclusion or expulsion from Scotland.

I really suggest you delve back into that wonderful "irrelevance" we call history, and i think you'll find that much of your argument is in fact misguided.

and where is all this wealth and money going to come from?

answer me this one question....why do we need autonomy?

and one could argue that NOT noticing the similarities between the two parties is naive.

i was going to say how many people that vote for the SNP actually pay attention to what their policies are and what people within that party are saying before supporting the party....but that's true of most voters for all parties.

How many people actually vote through a well researched thought process and not just because of how they PERCEIVE a party to be.

as for the SNP, don't look at what they claim to be for, look at their history (born out of a far right party's unification with a left party, and initial problems were resloved by ignoring the left side) and LISTEN to what a number of it's party members say. they are often in trouble for spouting racist, xenophobic remarks on issues, and ALex Salmond NEVER reprimands them for this.