SNP/BNP?

as i have stated before, i'm not interested in what their official policies say.

i have come into contact with a number of snp members and supporters, and all apart from 2 were deeply racist and prejudiced, most notably against the english (though also americans, most likely due to recent international events)

i would have more respect for them if they were honest about how they felt.

party policy doesn't always reflect personal policy.

i would much rather deal with what i have experienced for myself to influence my opinion, than rely on what i am told to believe.

would you say that what the labour party claims to be and what it actually is are one in the same thing?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i started using semantics, cause everyone else was bleating on about it, so why shouldn't i

but really....offensive????

i think not

Definitions of offensive on the Web:

* causing anger or annoyance; "offensive remarks"

:P

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Offensive, yes if anyone was caused annoyance by your usage of the very same linguistic approach that you had lambasted others for doing.

:wink:

Feel free to call me a pedant, i'm easy. :)

Anyway, what proportion of the party have you had experience of? I met the Ewing women once or twice and found them to be quite charming, not racist by any definition. Haven't met any others personally, i don't think. and be fair, unless you've met a fair few of them it's not appropriate to tar them all with the same brush. That would be prejudice.

njugle....should've expected that :)

i've met quite a few, but then, i have stated before that not all of them are the same.

but i'm not in support of any party that has anyone that has prejudicial, racist or discriminatory views

all it takes is someone who has those views to get quite high up and they can have a hand in influencing things. as i said before, met alex salmond and was really put off by him.

also, i never intended to imply that they are all the same and all prejudiced etc. i have stated a few times that they are not all like that.

i know on a few times its come accross as if i meant that, but that was typo's. thought if i went back to edit it would look like i was covering my tracks, so thought i would try and tough it out.

but the unfortunate thing is my experience has been disfavourable

i have come into contact with a number of snp members and supporters, and all apart from 2 were deeply racist and prejudiced, most notably against the english (though also americans, most likely due to recent international events)

Well, I also have come into contact with several SNP members and supporters, including Alex Salmond, and have never had a whiff of racism of any sort. So our anecdotal evidence is contradictory.

That really just leaves the official line, which is: they are not racist.

Like it or not spankybear, that's all we have to go on to determine wether or not the SNP are the same as the BNP.

Oh yeah, that and the fact that they don't go around at election time canvassing people on the basis that they're going to turf all the English people out of Scotland. Just a small point :wink:

as i said, that's ur opinion, and that's fine.

i don't like them...nor any party

never have voted doubt i ever will

i don't like the idea of settling for a party cause they're the lesser of numerous evils, rather than because you whole heartedly support their policies

but hey ho....one mans heaven is another mans hell :wink:

also, why is it on this site, if somebody has an opinion that others don't agree with, they are attacked as if wrong.

IT IS OPINION.

I believe that your use of sweeping statements to put across outspoken viewpoints may affect the response you get.

Only my opinion, you're welcome to challenge it! :)

as i pointed out WHEN DID I SAY THEY WERE EXACTLY ALIKE????
personally, i don't see a big lot of difference, it's down to a case of what is socially acceptable.
Following on from the context of the preceding posts, I took that to mean that you thought there wasn't a lot of difference between the BNP and the SNP..

why is it on this site, if somebody has an opinion that others don't agree with, they are attacked as if wrong.

IT IS OPINION.

If you post views in a public forum you have to accept that people are within their rights to comment on what you have said. If you don't want people to respond to what you say, then don't post - simple as that. Just because people comment on particular points you make, doesn't necessarily mean that they disagree with everything you have said.

And yes, semantics do matter. You are posting in an written environment, where we can't see your expressions nor hear your tone of voice, so we have only the written word to go on. In a public forum, you have to be careful how you word things, and/or be willing to accept the consequences. I remember one of my earliest posts a good number of years ago, where I naively posted something like - I'm sure I can speak for everyone here and wish blah de blah etc. Well no - you can't speak for everyone else, you can only speak for yourself in a forum. As soon as I'd posted it, someone popped up and said, no, you have no right to speak for me. So if you post something in a public forum - of course you can't be surprised when it is commented upon/argued with. Then of course in almost every forum there are the obligatory trolls... ;)

Whit I find irrelevant spankybear is your unreasoned argumenting in any of your threads posted! You quickly find indifference in anyone not towing your party line and become quite defensive to the point of being offensive in your text. Peeriewife and you appear to troll this board with the soul purpose of causing conflict with its members!

on this point, having looked through, peeriewife has posted 3 times, one of which was to get a thread back on topic, 2 others were on this thread asking a question, nothing more.

how is she being offensive?

i have posted on 2 threads, my intent has never been to cause offense. i won't deny on occasions i have taken offense, but that's due to the fact that on occasions people have attacked my point of view...not everyone, but some people have.

of course if i feel my opinion is being attacked i'm gonna be defensive, but i do not see what i have done to offend others?

enlighten me

I would now definitely say troll.. :D