A Majority of One...

Njugle

What price, one mammalian life?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What price, one mammalian life?

• I am a bleeding heart liberal and think that all life is priceless.
    • I eat meat and enjoy occasional hypocrisy

So, the London whale is dead.

Was it worth the £50,000 spent trying to return it to the open ocean, when it obviously had 'issues' that caused it to follow a river upstream to begin with?

Less than 100 years ago there would have been a race to get a hook in it, to serve it up in the finest restaurant rich enough to buy it.

Had it been anywhere but London, would so much fuss have been made?

Why was £50,000 not spent on the East Voe dolphin (the carcass of which has now mysteriously vanished)?

What about the protocol which dictates that wildlife viewing should not intervene?

What about the "Natural Heritage" guidelines issued this year which dictate the procedures we should comply with whilst keeping AWAY from marine mammals? Whilst otters choose to board fishing vessels, in search of discarded fish, with crew in attendance.

And all the while there are people within 50 miles of where i sit discreetly and conservatively sampling the delights of seal and neesik meat from time to time.

What think ye? Aaarrr!

It should have been left alone. It was probably going to die anyhow, and should have not been prodded, lifted and annoyed in the attempt to save it.

Typical eejits thinking they can save the world. Before the thing was half way up the thames in the first place, there was something wrong with it!

Shoulda shot it between the eyes, and put it out it's misery!

Yeah i saw that one! It was excellent. Public money well spent.

Did a bit of it not land on a car or something? I forget, it was a while ago.

To progress the train of thought, the whale could have been used for the ultimate in friendly fire target practice, all they needed to do was tell the yanks to leave it alone.....aabbbaaabboooom!

:P

That video made my day. A poignant tale of how a family day out watching exploding carcasses can suddenly turn to horror - Quote “The humour of the entire situation suddenly gave way to a run for survival as huge chunks of whale blubber fell everywhere.”

The reporter was particularly pleased with the opportunity to employ pathetic puns and poor parody. How's this for ill advised alliteration - “The blast blasted blubber beyond all believable bounds”

You can download the video, to enjoy time and time again, from http://www.rafarmourers.co.uk/cpg132/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=1

The London whale thing has been 'blown up' out of all porpoise-ion.

I saw well-known beast botherer Terry '9 Fingers' Nutkins on TV saying that we can't just stand by and let animals like “Big Ben” (the dead London whale) die. Indeed. What a wasted opportunity. Why wait till they're dead. He must have seen the video too :wink:

The plastic watering can used to keep the whales skin wet when it was on the barge is being auctiouned on ebay. Bids have reached £113 550!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/London-UK-Thames-Whale-Watering-Can-Wally-Willy-BDMLR_W0QQitemZ7213765194QQcategoryZ10897QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That should buy plenty of semtex for next time!

Get dere when it's fresh fir christs sakes. Ever tried hacking up a rotten whal? You dunna want tae, trust me. It's the only smell i've ever tasted it's vile! Nose plugs wir futile. And i'm telt that there's 90+ diseases you can git fae a dead whal as opposed 50+ you git fae a dead human.

Dunna ask..... :x

I notice its down to £9401 now. Either someone was ripping the pish or the auction is running backwards

Still a hell of an expensive watering can though. If the bidders want to help the whales they should probably spend their money on whale food or water or whatever it is that whales like. I'm sure whales don't often have the need for watering cans, what with living in the sea 'n all

I notice its down to £9401 now. Either someone was ripping the pish or the auction is running backwards

Yes! think they've maybe checked up on some of the bidders and realised they were taking the pish! It was as high as £126 000 last time I looked before it nosedived.