mirrie dancers

bigton

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have tried to find reason with this expression of light. I've personally found this type of display works most successfully against outstanding buildings of interest and or in an urban setting moreso; outstanding buildings since no reason to explain the purpose and urban because of the close proximity to the display and the aesthetics of light within a closed setting.

Narrowing our sites down to ten was very difficult as we found so many wonderful possibilities. In making our final selection we considered the aesthetics of each site, their meaning, visibility and practical issues related to technical, practical and health and safety issues.

It has to be said the Flickr pictures give justice through providing the closed window of view that is a photograph without the larger context of the surrounding landscape. I have to say from such a distance of view and the small size of the chosen sites, in the majority, you don't get any immediate impact. Or I haven't, no.

I would have liked to have understood more the artistic 'meaning' of the chosen sites described on their website. Communication through the programme downloads on the site are somewhat lacking. Though they give a brief glimpse of why a site was chosen .... the real 'local' reasons etc. and whatever transcribed in the summer sessions is lost. Just the continual statement of "[...] It was extremely difficult to make a short-list [...]" and "[...] but also their meaning locally, and for Shetland generally, as well as visibility. Practical design, safety and technical considerations also influenced our decision." without actually explaining it. Have I just missed something?

I do think as an idea it was worthwhile. Potentially just stunted communication to its purpose and executed rather strangely when realising the idea.

nope it was only getting set up last night, but as usual on Shetlink can expect nothing but negativity

Well, its well after 6pm on the 16th now, and all I'm seeing, is worse than was there yesterday. It was nothing great ever yesterday, but they dulled them down later on before they were switched off sometime arond 10 or 11pm. Its that dulled down version thats there again now. Unless my nose is within 3 feet of the window in a darkened room, they can't be seen, and that's from one mile away, the nearest vantage point, unless you actually go to the site.

I've nothing against the basic idea and concept, as I understand it, but somewhere in the planning, design, site selection or installation the scheme has totally failed. There are no nearer vantage points to Garthsness than Toab, the Hayes or Scatness unless you go to sea. Its a low lying shabby old largely abandoned building on the south facing slope of the point of a headland, its hardly prominent from any location. If you have difficulty seeing the show from the nearest vantage points, what is the point of having it. Having to go to the actual site to see it completely defeats the point of the whole thing does it not?

Having to go to the actual site to see it completely defeats the point of the whole thing does it not?

While I am as perplexed as the next een as to why she/they chose Garths Ness for a venue, the logic in dy statement arouses the Devils advocate in me GR :wink:

How does having to go somewhere to see something defeat the point in it? (Unless of course the gates are permanently closed for the dairy herd, which I doubt, otherwise they wouldn't have put it there. They must have discussed this with the landowner, surely.)

Having to go to the actual site to see it completely defeats the point of the whole thing does it not?

While I am as perplexed as the next een as to why she/they chose Garths Ness for a venue, the logic in dy statement arouses the Devils advocate in me GR :wink:

How does having to go somewhere to see something defeat the point in it? (Unless of course the gates are permanently closed for the dairy herd, which I doubt, otherwise they wouldn't have put it there. They must have discussed this with the landowner, surely.)

By definition this is billed as "Public Art", its also an outdoor night-time show lasting over a relatively longish period of time. Maybe its just me, but the preception I have of any such displays is that they are intended for a wide audience and a somewhat casual audience. The show can usually be enjoyed equally, albeit differently both from up close and from varibale distances.

Take for example the firework displays at Clickimin, no doubt they look great from Clickimin to the audience who are virtually directly beneath them, but they also look great, if slightly different from the top of the Staney Hill or Soond Brae. Lerwick UHA is fine when you're standing inside the play park next to the burning galley, but its equally appreciated from many upstairs windows in King Harald and St Olaf street, and would probably look quite good too from the top of the Town Hall. This is not possible with Garthsness, Toab the nearest viewpoint, I am struggling to see it, on Garthsness itself you will see nothing until you are literally yards from the building due to its location down a slope.

If the art can only be appreciated from the actual location, what is it about the old Garthness station that's supposed to make or break this show. I can understand when a natural feature is involved (eg. the one planned for the West Sandwick sand dunes) but the old station is a very plain unremarkable building which could have as easily been recreated somewhere indoors, to provide an identical show without the disadvantages of not the easiest access, and standing around on an exposed headland on what at this time of year will 9 times out of 10 be a night of sharn.

I can't see 'em. Forgive my ignoreness, but I am meant to be looking over other side of Quendale Beach?

Yup, but right south almost at the tip of the headland. I doubt you'll see them without taking a walk around this side though, me and the rest round here are probably blocking your line of vision. :oops:

Maybe the saat spray will light up in the air and create a mirrie dancer effect, visible for, er, miles. :P :wink:

That's maybe why they looked better yesterday, a good going reel of wind and dry. A decent amount of saat flying around.

Tonight all the saat is being drowned down in sheeting rain despite the wind whipping it up. :wink:

P.S. I prefer a fine simmer's night, or early on a simmer's morning to be there, a very calm and tranquil spot, around Garths Wick has a similar feeling.

If this artist had to go to that part of the world and do this, I'd have had far more sympathy for the exercise if they'd used the ruins of the Corston houses, the old buith or shop (don't mind which they left after building the Museum with the other), or even the daeks of the Ootroo park, far more heritage, culture and meaning in those than in an old military station that existed for what? maybe 20 years, and nobody local knew much or cared a thing about.

Agreed about the wick etc in fine wadder. It's just a fine place to be any time.

Perhaps you should have gone on the bus tour when the locations were decided.

Some o da biggins on da hills abun Noss might have been a bit more accessible/visible too, though they maybe wouldn't have picked up the light very well.

If I were an artist, I'd have sprayed light coloured paint (environmentally friendly of course) on a strip along the east facing slopes o Fitful and shone the lights on that. Just abun da auld felly dyke. :wink: