football league structure

BigTam

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who says? I tak it Wheeesh is a member of the SFA, who are generally jeelous of the organisation of the parish cup. Wheesh's remarks are far too authorative to be takken seriously. Cool it man!

Way wrong....man! I'm a country boy who happens to think the PC needs changed a little

And organising a single knockout with eigth teams, played over an entire summer hardly takes a huge amount of effort does it?

What I am saying is that the fixtures set out at the beggining of the season should be stuck with. League fixtures being chopped and cganged forn the PC would be stopped if the PC fixtures became part of those fixtures. Easy eh.

:oops: Egg/Face combination here. I've made some enquiries and it would seem that our back-room admin has deleted them erroneously under the provocation of the recent spate of "spammer" users registering. It seem that the name "cantthinkofone" was percieved as dubious and potentially "spammy"

I extend our humblest apologies to "cantthinkofone" and to those in discussion with him/her for this over-zealous act and assure you that the culprit will receive a good hard "Zidane Treatment" as a result.

Sorry. (Shetlink team) :oops:

ps fred,john,billy,zidane,porky,mickey,pluto,dave,nigel,willy,wendy, bobby, scraggly,foosty,superman,batman,algernon, bob!...etc etc, there's heaps of names available! come back cantthinkofone, and have a better name, please, pretty please :wink:

Jeezo...

Here was me thinking that the SFA were imposing some kind of ban on other solutions being posed to Shetland's league "problem"... Glad to hear it was just a cock-up.

Is there no way to rescue the posts? I doubt that The Poster Formerly Known As "Cantthinkofone" will be bothered to re-type his lengthy-but-logical viewpoints.

Wouldn't it be logical, given the relative lack of junior football played this year, to merge junior sides with what remains of 'B' teams and have an under-21 league for all clubs with junior teams, with 2-3 overage players allowed to play, then do away with the reserve league?

I can't see how that helps?

There may be scope to do away with 16's as it appears to me that they are usually the same boys and girls who are playing 14 and/or 18 but then again the coaching at thease age groups is generally pretty good up here.

And if that were taken through what would happen to the fringe players who are over 21?

I think what the SFA needs to do is set out clearly how the second tier of football in shetland is going to be constructed, if it cant be in place for next season then at least work towards it being ready for the season after, so that the clubs that wont be able to sustain A league football will find there own level, it isnt very good organisation to say you all have to go up but then not have in place one of the main parts of your plan for Shetland football.

Wouldn't it be logical, given the relative lack of junior football played this year, to merge junior sides with what remains of 'B' teams and have an under-21 league for all clubs with junior teams, with 2-3 overage players allowed to play, then do away with the reserve league?

I can't see how that helps?

There may be scope to do away with 16's as it appears to me that they are usually the same boys and girls who are playing 14 and/or 18 but then again the coaching at thease age groups is generally pretty good up here.

And if that were taken through what would happen to the fringe players who are over 21?

It is only a suggestion, but I would have thought it would help by getting younger players used to playing senior(ish) football at an earlier age. You could use three overage players in the U21 setup, which means anyone on fringes or coming back from injury and needing fitness could play.

But the bulk of 'B' team players, in my experience, tend to be young, while anyone who is late 20s, early 30s and only playing at 'B' level could always play Works League or '2nd division' - the difference in standard between the two isn't all that great.

That way, the U21 league would serve as a feeder for the senior league, and you wouldn't get teams, as they do now with the B league, treating it as a chance to win a trophy and an easier alternative to playing in the top tier. As I say, it's only a suggestion and I'm sure there are flaws, but if they are radically altering then every possibility ought to be considered.

What is happening on here sums up part of the problem.

There are many different ideas, opinions, possible solutions etc but none of these get as far as SFA meetings as far as I am aware.

I am not on the SFA committe but I take an intrest in Shetland football and do, when possible, try and help the discusions along. It is all very well sitting back and making noises on here but we all need to speak out and contribute.

No sense blaming the SFA, remember the SFA ARE the clubs of Shetland, nothing else.

What is happening on here sums up part of the problem.

There are many different ideas, opinions, possible solutions etc but none of these get as far as SFA meetings as far as I am aware.

I am not on the SFA committe but I take an intrest in Shetland football and do, when possible, try and help the discusions along. It is all very well sitting back and making noises on here but we all need to speak out and contribute.

No sense blaming the SFA, remember the SFA ARE the clubs of Shetland, nothing else.

Once again I find myself agreeing wi d Wheest 8O , folk either need to submit their proposals in person at the AGM of the SFA or in writing so that they are included in the agenda for discussion, that way they can be looked at, and maybe the best parts of all the proposals put forward can be tailored to suit Shetland football. The association at the AGM's I have attended in the past have always looked for people who are interested in football but are'nt affiliated to any particular club to come onboard.

Maybe though these people are afraid to come forward for fear of being riduculed which is a pity for Shetland football as a whole?

Yell are currently drafting a proposal to be presented to the SFA in writing as soon as possible.

It will make the point that clubs with no youth training programme in place cannot "build" for A League football in the future as things stand. Discussions will need to be held with management of other teams before the proposal can be completed, but rest assured we're not just moaning on Shetlink and doing nothing else.

That is the way it should be done spencey, im no saying that we will agree with what you propose though, if you want to run it past us then pm me and i'll pass it on to da manager and wir commitee and get back to you with any points that we see, save a bit of shargin at the AGM cos they can go on for f**king ages :)