Diving at the World Cup

JAStewart

Seems to be pretty bad this year. As a Chelsea fan I get a lot of stick for Drogba's disgraceful antics, often Liverpool fans. So I was a bit surprised when I saw Torres do this:

http://www.abload.de/img/1277496422531i1sy.gif

I don't know if anyone was watching the game, but at half time the pundits seemed to refuse to talk about it at all.

I found it mighty strange.

Guest Anonymous

I was expecting to see an underwater scene when I saw the Diving title, without reading it properly.

But, that was far more fun. :lol: :lol:

No wonder football is becoming a joke. It's like the acting you see on a soap opera.

:wink:

Clearly. i.e. CLEARLY. i.e. CLEARLY the Chilean player just catches Torres' trailing foot with his knee.

As with a tap tackle in rugby, once your trailing foot is deflected towards your leading calf...there's nothing you can do to stop yourself from - effectively - tripping yourself.

So...in this instance, where Torres was running pretty close to full pelt, once he was touched - and that is all it takes - he was going to go down. And, due to his speed, fairly spectacularly.

For anyone to try to claim that as an example of Torres cheating doesn't really understand the game. It's as simple as that.

Right Marooned, that's why Torres flips 180 degrees and dramatically jolts his head.

For anyone to try to label Torres a cheat based on that footage is deluded. There may have been many other examples of cheating during his career - that isn't one of them. That's all I'm arguing here. I do, however, think you're rather over-dramatising Torres' reaction.

Even if Torres did kick at the Chilean player, he didn't deserve to be redded. At all. Pure scum.

That doesn't make sense to me.

And careful viewing of the clip will show that Torres was playing for Spain at the time - not Liverpool.

I tink dat instead o arguin aboot dis sumbody wid hiv mentioned da dirty Ivory Coast cheatin tactics against Brazil.

Kaka' wis already on a yellow card and at 80+ minits dir wis nae wy back fur Ivory Coast, so wan o dir massivly built players runs intae Kaka (wha wisna even lookin at him), Kaka den braces himself fur dis man mountains impact, and da Ivory Coast player collapses clutchin his face. Kaka' is sent aff n banned fur da nixt game.

I tink dis is a complete disgrace, even do it wis caught on camera aabody is joost accepted it. Fifa shood hiv cleared Kaka's ban and promptly sent yun Ivory Coast player him straight awa. De cin go on aboot eradicatin divin bit de do nithin atall tae stop it. If de implimented a huge fine, i.e. 100k fur a premiership player wha is caught divin plus a 5 game ban de wid shun stop it.

Fines should be in relation to wages. When Adebayor celebrated in front of the Gunners (no, not in Angola), he was fined about £20,000. When he's paid over £100,000 a week.

Also yeah, diving and such should be clamped down totally. All that this world cup would need is for someone to be red carded while diving and that would have clamped it. That Kaita player who got Kaka sent off was ridiculous and FIFA should be able to rescind yellow cards/red cards instead of just reducing the ban.

We need video tech!

I agree dat fines proportional tae wages etc dat wid be good, lik a 3 week wage fine or sumthin. bit i duna tink dat referees cin be tasked we clampin oot divin in da middle o a game, if da ref red cairds sumeen fur divin n gits da call wreng he wid be hung drawn n quartered, probably death threats if it wis a big game. as du says de shood implement video evidence intae games or even a video panel efter da game. A perfect example i kyle lafferty fur rangers, he hid a terrible attitude dats not improvin, he got caught against aberdeen n he alwees wirkin sharn, specialy in scotland celtic n rangers players tink de cin git aff wi a lot mare den de shood.