Blasted Pigeons

onlyjim

Bird seed costs a fortune.

Even the big bags don't really work out all that cheap unless you only have one little feeder.

Every day i get up to two dozen pigeons tramping around and picking up the dropped seeds and taking over from the small wild birds they are meant for.

They are also destroying the grass as they tramp back and fore pecking, scratching and their droppings, leaving great bald patches in the grass.

Doesn't the owner feed them.

Does anyone know a way to keep them away without a shotgun?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bird seed costs a fortune.

Even the big bags don't really work out all that cheap unless you only have one little feeder.

Every day i get up to two dozen pigeons tramping around and picking up the dropped seeds and taking over from the small wild birds they are meant for.

They are also destroying the grass as they tramp back and fore pecking, scratching and their droppings, leaving great bald patches in the grass.

Doesn't the owner feed them.

Does anyone know a way to keep them away without a shotgun?

Ummm... most pigeons are wild?!?

I don't think there is any way of selecting which birds get the feed and which don't once it is on the ground. Maybe get a cat?

Yes they are Rock Doves not pigeons.They are mainly ground feeders as are blackbirds etc. and feed off what falls from feeders and tables. Wouldnt you rather have them cleaning up than rodents?

I believe these are homing pigeons fae up the road that come fae the same breed as your rock doves.

Guest posiedon
Yes they are Rock Doves not pigeons.They are mainly ground feeders as are blackbirds etc. and feed off what falls from feeders and tables. Wouldnt you rather have them cleaning up than rodents?

I believe these are homing pigeons fae up the road that come fae the same breed as your rock doves.

As has already been pointed out, they are rock doves,

If they were homing pigeons they would have rings on their legs, do they?

look like rock doves to me. Very tasty :D

Put a net on a frame and balance it off the ground at one side with a prop that has a long string attatched. Put food under it and when they are all under it pull on the string to pull out the prop from the comfort of your house. Once you have them captured you'll be able to identify if they are wild or homers by any rings they are wearing. If no rings assume they are wild as I would hardly imagine a homer would be aloud out without I.D. If wild... get the pastry out :lol:

Or if you just want them to stop coming you will be making elaborate feeding tables covered with mesh small enough to keep them off. Once the food suply dries up they will give up... eventually.