Clive's Record Shop

Guest metallica man

I've been saying this for months now! When Clive's was on the go Tesco kept there racks of games, DVD's and Cd's full to the brim with plenty of offers. Fast forward and hey Presto(no pun intended) those racks are bare with limited choice the vast majority of the time up until the last week or 2 where by magic they're able to fill those racks continuously. Check out the Wii games next time you're in...pathetic!

Give the customer what they want........my ring piece!!

Clive's is a terrible miss throughout the year not just in December!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

play.com, Game and amazon fill the gap just fine for me. So neither clives or tescos being there make no odds to me, infact if you pre order in plenty time they goods drop on the door mat on the day it comes out.

only shop I'm missing is swansons, need batteries for watch etc and ofcourse for pressies.

after reading about the tax, then, they are always hmv online and other uk based pages that pay their taxes.

Im sure if i was loaded and my advisiors said 'you know if you did this leagle thing you wont pay as much tax' im sure i and we all would do it.

what we need is the laws to be changed to stop the fat cats stashing their money elsewhere, and if they say they will pull out of the uk, then im sure they are plenty other folk/firms wanting to take their sales off them.

Memories of Clive's peery early shop at the South end of Commercial Street. I was in one day looking for "something" and asked him for advice. He asked if I had seen Mary Black on Ally Bain a few days before. This is prob 25 or 30 years ago. I had seen the show and thought she was brilliant singing "Nadine". He had the CD and a fan for born. He also introduced me to Nancy Griffiths. Another great artist. The shop and the advice will be sorely missed.

• 1 month later...

I always liked going in to Clive's. It was a great shop with a fantastic selection of music. You could always find something that you liked. I distinctly remember having gone in a few times to just have a look around, and I came out with a CD or 2 or a DVD. I even managed to bag myself a Limited Edition Megadeth CD from there, that's something you're not likely to find anywhere else up here, and I never even found it on the internet until a few weeks later.

Something that will always stick with me about that shop was the service. I used the disc cleaning service a lot a few years back (being a young teenager with video games led to them getting very scratched), and the prices were great. The instance I remember most is that there was a film released in 2010 called Lemmy (which is obviously, about Lemmy of Motorhead). I scoured the shelves and I couldn't find it, and I really wanted it as soon as I could get it. I asked Clive, and he said that there were no more copies until he had a delivery in. But then he mentioned that he had a copy reserved for someone that wasn't going to be in until after he had gotten the delivery. So he sold me that copy. That's something that you never really get in any chain store (HMV and the like).

As for prices, it seemed that a lot of the CDs and DVDs cost about the same as Amazon when you added in the fast delivery option. A new release CD would maybe be £10 and a DVD £12 - £15. Good deals to me, and I was glad to spend the extra couple of pounds to have a copy straight away, rather than waiting days (and on a couple of occasions, weeks) for it to arrive from whatever online retailer it had been ordered from. I never really bought any video games or accessories from there but there was the odd one or two now and again that I'd pick up (this was largely due to the fact that the range of PC games anywhere is poor at best).

What I'm most disappointed about now though is that the building has been taken over by Specsaver's. There's already 2 opticians in town, did we really need another? Admittedly, I don't wear glasses so I don't know much about the prices and what is a ripoff and what isn't. I would have liked to have seen a small branch of a chain store in a similar vain to Clive's move in, or maybe High Level Music moving in there. But instead, a chain optician has moved in, something that wasn't totally needed and (though I really hate to say this as it sounds really whiny) will probably end up running to locals out of business.

I'll miss being able to pass the time in Clive's. Going in and browsing was always great, and more often than not, I'd leave with a CD that I never intended to buy. It's a great shame the store closed, and I do miss it.

I once went into Clives, totally bored with my cd collection, and said please can I buy 4 cd's that you would recommend with the remit that if I hate them I would take them back.

I never did return them. They were all brilliant and still alive in my cd collection.

I just wanted to do something different that day! Never regretted it and we had a laugh.